Join now - be part of our community!

Iplayer KDL-42W705B "internet download failed'

profile.country.GB.title
lycraofthelane

Iplayer KDL-42W705B "internet download failed'

I bought this TV in May 2015, it  has a manufacture date of 03/2015

For sometime now we have had problems with  Iplayer, (which we use a lot and is really the reason we bought this tv) slowly it has got worse and now when accessing  gets the no memory message. We have fast cable broadband from Virgin and have tried all the advice from Sony, wired connection, factory reset, unplugging, refresh internet along with check software version v3.006. Try hot spot connection and wired HDMI connection (Which work.).   

The BBC tell me.

"We're investigating this with Sony and we really appreciate your patience."
We're aware that some people are seeing an 'Internet download failed because content size exceeds system memory limit' error message when they try to use the BBC iPlayer app on their Sony TV.  "In the meantime, check the Sony devices certified for BBC iPlayer page to check that the BBC iPlayer app is supported on your model."

It is listed as supported.

Meanwhile  Sony tell me....Thank you for contacting Sony support.
With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony KDL-42W705B, please note that this is being investigated by BBC and this is a third party application Sony is not responsible for.
If you are looking for workarounds please find the link below:  Unplug and wait..etc.

The television is fine apart from this issue but this issue becomes extremely frustrating and in all honestly it is not what I expect from Sony, the BBC or John lewis.
 Why is it OK for a tv to become obsolete in 5 years?
Why do the BBC say they are working with Sony? They must know the cause and equally if it can be corrected?
Were Sony aware of this future issue when the tv was sold?
Are John Lewis content for TVs to be sold by Sony that are unfit for purpose?
So why buy a smart TV from Sony?
Not a happy Sony fan....
21 REPLIES 21
TeaBagCV37
Explorer

I'm sorry to add to your disappointment with Sony, but this issue with iPlayer on their TVs has been going on for years, and all the while Sony have said they're 'working with the BBC....'

Well they must be working very slowly !

profile.country.GB.title
lycraofthelane

I am starting to realise that what you say is correct, Sony are neither honourable or trustworthy, the BBC site says it is being worked on and meanwhile change the date on the notice from July to September. In all honesty I would prefer it if the came out and said that they can do nothing about it, rather than make out some magic cure will be found, it is definitely a design fault and as such shows Sony are no longer cutting edge, time to move brands.

profile.country.GB.title
lycraofthelane

The latest update,

Now when I select Iplayer I get this message..

Reparse document as HTML

http/www.w3 org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-EntityRef

Can anybody explain this?

profile.country.GB.title
Adrian_here

I totally agree with your reply. 

profile.country.GB.title
lycraofthelane

And now finally after all this time and promises to rectify I am now informed that "i-player will no longer be available after 10 March" I would be happy if it worked until then. Last time I buy Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
Adrian_here

We got the same message yesterday when I launched iPlayer. Hopefully Sony will come to the rescue of their beleaguered customers?

profile.country.GB.title
lycraofthelane

I fear this is the end and as feared, corporate abandonment is about to happen. Sony and BBC claimed to be working together on this issue. I think they had coffee together and decided to play along until a suitable period had expired and then claim the service was nolonger available. When in effect it has not worked for years. Sony failure.

TVchallenge
Explorer

I now have the same problem with model KDL-40W705C,  iPlayer stopped working in December 2019, BBC said it was investigating it and next thing a 'Sorry to say goodbye' notice appeared, saying iPlayer will no longer be available on this device as it is unable to support the technical requirements needed to keep iPlayer going.  I think that this is a problem between Sony and iPlayer and I, too, question why the apps on a TV purchased in 2015 can be obsolete.    Surely this is something Sony can deal with.  Why would anyone by another Sony product when a model becomes obselete after five years.?  They wouldn't and that is the issue Sony needs to address.

profile.country.GB.title
Adrian_here

Rather than replace a perfectly good TV what I’m doing to get around the problem is casting the iPlayer App from my iPad to my Sony TV using a device called a ‘Google Chromecast’ plugged into an HDMI port at the back of the TV.

There are videos on YouTube explaining how its done. The device itself costs about £30 or less. 

Chromecast also works with the YouTube App in the same way. It will also work with other Apps where there is the Chromecast symbol displayed.

If you have a Chrome book (rather than an iPad) it’s even easier to use Chromecast. You can cast whatever is on your desktop i.e. what you see in your Chrome book screen is displayed on your TV.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey guys, I came across this article: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00178923, unfortunately BBC decided to discontinue on older models. My suggestion is either to cast, or to use an external device such as a fire stick.