Join now - be part of our community!

What we want to see in the Xperia 1 V.

profile.country.GB.title
kzagham

What we want to see in the Xperia 1 V.

Like the last thread, feel free to add your own thoughts/ comments below. Just made this thread to talk about the features and upgrades we would like to see in the next Xperia flagship, the Xperia 1 V. Although, I must say this year's model was definitely a very polished product, except where they took out the charger from the box. They should have left is an option for the buyer to decide at the very least. 

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
kzagham

To list the features I'm looking forward to: 

1. Everything limited to 4K 30fps (be that better video stabilisation, multi-bracketed wider HDR, some tracking/ AF features and everything else) to be moved up to support 4K HDR 60fps (everything should work in Videography Pro).

2. Superior Auto to be added in to Photography Pro. On the options slider where it says Basic Mode, Auto Mode, Shutter Priority, Program Mode, Manual, Manual Recall, either add another option above basic mode as Superior Auto (or just remove Basic Mode and replace it). A lot of people would like the flexibility of a full auto mode when short on time or during a kids day out when moving between different locations and taking too many photos to realistically go back and edit. It would be great if when on Superior Auto- it gave the option to trigger night mode on the right side menu (just an icon or something) as-well. A better flash would help with this.  

3. The elephant in the room- bigger sensor sizes across the board (be those 12MP or 48MP), as long as the bit-rate, quality and AI/ ISP can be improved by a big jump for both 4K 60 and 4K 120fps HDR recording. I think that is more important than 8K 30fps HDR video (unlikely to jump to 8K 60fps HDR by chip support in 2023), as long as the 4K 120fps can be of decent enough quality to be used as is, which would work well to play back smoother video on 4K 120HZ TV's. Also better bokeh would be a step in the right direction (without blowing out highlights in the background). 

4. True 10-bit panel (not 8 native +2 software), a lot of competitors that used to be worse are making native 10-bit and even 12-bit panels. Sony needs to catchup to at least 10-bit native and if the brightness can be increased even further or VRR added in, those are bonuses! 

5. Maybe improve the X for mobile to XR for mobile or something newer all round (make the 5th anniversary edition special). 

6. Better Software (Keep moving forward in this department). 

7. Do what you have always done, keep improving, hopefully the variable optical zoom range can be increased, new technologies such as Dolby Vision or HDR10+ adopted and continue to surpise us! 

profile.country.GB.title
kzagham

Leaks are looking good - improved hardware. Might have something to do with how Apple is looking to make everything internally from bluetooth to screen (ditching samsung screens). It's only a matter of time before they ditch Sony sensors and make their own too and Sony know it. The only option they have left is the Xperia line as the poster child to what Sony sensors can do - would be cool if new sensors were launched via Xperia smartphones - i.e. this is a sensor hitting the market in 6 months or 18 months, tested via Xperia XYZ. Using different sensors aross models. I did hear rumours about a potential Xperia model that will sit above the Xperia 1 V as a V anniversay special (one off) with better everything across the board and will be a thicc boy - premium flagship for professionals with better cooling (if translated correct had something about vapour chamber), priced at Fold levels - with some unique proprietary camera sensor and excluisve AI features that could outperform existing flagships from Samsung and Apple, but that sounds too far fetched to be real. What is closer to real is the leak on the improved hardware for the MK V series, seems like people are talking - although attention seems low this year, maybe people didn't like the Xperia 1 IV. If Sony can prove they are stepping up, may get more attention back. 

Link to gsmarena post on new leak:

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_1_v_image_leaks_it_might_literally_be_the_hottest_snapdragon_8_...

If this was last year would have had around 12-15 pages, this only had 8 pages of comments and the ones there are longer (less people):

Screenshot 2023-02-03 212117.png

Tags (2)
profile.country.GB.title
kzagham

Just me talking to myself at this point and the occassional person who might run across this :slight_smile:

Doesn't make me optimistic on public perception of Xperia. The overheating issues with the Xperia 1 IV may have broken the straw - no one minds a thicker Xperia at this point. Just look at the rumours of a thicker iPhone 15 Pro Max. As long as it performs - which Sony needs to get through their skull or they will become the next LG/ BlackBerry/ Nokia. Hopefully the new Xperia Pro launches with the Xperia 1 V, and Sony make it as thick as they need to get it working without overheating. If people can lug around a DSLR and DAP's, they can take a few extra mm's thickness in a smartphones - especially "PRO's" who Sony is marketing too. Make the Xperia 5 the thin, everyday user phone if you need to. 

Anyhow results for DXOMARK are again in, surprise surprise it didn't rate well. There's definitely room for improvement and better integration for everyday users. 

https://www.dxomark.com/smartphones/Sony/Xperia-1-IV

If there are still overheating issues and people can't record video solid for at least an hour, it will truly be the end. Sony can't afford to screw up 2 generations - people will be upgrading from the Xperia 1 iii, which was pretty good! No app warnings will make a difference if people can't rely on it as a camera when they need to record memorable moments. 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey kzagham, the overheating issue was addressed by Sony via a software update. I believe the new phones will be released with the bug fix already installed. 

profile.country.GB.title
kzagham

Thanks for the comment! It does make a bit of a difference - in that you can now record 4K for longer than the 2-3 minutes it started with. But as you can see it is still overheating in under 10 minutes in 4K 30fps with HDR. The maximum I can get is 17 minutes with 1080p SDR (Standard Dynamic Range - Not Wide) at 30fps. Now if you consider that this phone can record in 4K 60fps in HDR, that is pretty bad. When I can record for over an hour on an iPhone 14 pro in 4K 60fps HDR (Dolby Vision).

The SD8 is a hotter chip and the phone doesn't have a vapour chamber or proper cooling, it's really thin - about 8.2mm compared to the 12.02mm of the iPhone with a 4mm camera bump. The problem was it had overheating issues and launched in summer which made it worse - a few people have lost trust in Sony phones as a result. It doesn't help that any forum you look at for old or new xperia phones mention overheating. They either need to make a camera bump or increase the full thickness of the phone or at least offer an updated Pro II variant at launch with the Xperia 1 V launch. 

But sure mistakes happen - something went wrong last gen. They need to improve on this at least this gen and it doesn't look like they are from leaks. The audacity some reps had to say record in 1080p, it helps with cooling. When you throw that much money for a phone - you don't record in 1080p. My older Xperia 1 records in 4K unlimited minutes. A budget phone can record in 4K. The latest S23 commercial shows how life works - people ask you to send them stuff and if you are sending a 1080p file in 2023 - many will think you are messing with them or insulting them by not sending full res files. When phones are shooting in 8K (30fps) with the S23 Ultra - what reason do I have to buy a Sony Xperia to record in 1080p? 

It's not bashing on Sony - I do use Sony products, I loved the Z line and feel they have removed a lot of cool features and tech since in newer generations. They are charging high prices - invest back in R&D, fix heating issues or lose customers. I think this year will be make it or break it, if they produce another overheating phone, many of the current followers will leave for other platforms. It's not just words, that is what will realistically happen - as people have friends and family, you can't mess up the most important feature in today's day and age of having a reliable camera in a phone. My graduation ceremony wasn't recorded when I was on the walkway as my phone had overheated in my parents hands - that's not something that is going to happen again. Luckily the university had a live session a friend had clipped for me, but I can imagine many memorable moments that can be missed. 

You can see a sample video (screen recording) to see how quickly it overheats and its still the colder season:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WzV_v_GIqB88fRTuFVikK6BpG-Foarwe/view?usp=share_link

profile.country.GB.title
kzagham

Nice one Sony! Loved what you did with the Xperia 1 V! It definitely is a good refinement on the Xperia 1 IV, the addition of S-Cinetone is amazing, night mode (in whatever form it currently is, definitely a step in the correct direction, not turning night into day but also capturing what you need it to). It may not be until next year that this gets polished, but it would be good to get software updates to roll this back on to this model as-well. The new sensor is also very interesting looking! Finally getting to see Sony try some new stuff on their Xperia line, the marketing via youtuber videos is a good tactic. Appreciate the refinement on the speaker. The heat handling was a major point and that seems to have been expertly tackled - better than expected! 👏

You've got me excited. Will be getting the Xperia 1 V as a placeholder until the launch of the Xperia Pro II. Have an important function to attend in December, so hopefully the Xperia Pro II launches in UK before mid-December! 

I do feel, whilst some may say that the sensors weren't all upgraded, it isn't a bad step. As long as Sony can use the time to perfect their AI implementation for future hardware and also use the larger margin to reinvest in better future tech that would be appreciated! Hopefully the Xperia Pro II this year knocks it out of the park, will be starting a new thread for that - as am now definitely hyped for it! 

Do feel a bit sad that the Xperia 1 V won't be available in Purple, but the Black is also pretty good! Fingers crossed the Xperia Pro II launches in Purple. It did meet most of the initial expectations I had, improved thermals, upgrades to 4K 60fps video recording across the board, but whether the option for Wider Dynamic Range (HDR) is one of those remains to be seen. Am excited that S-Cinetone is supported by 4K 60fps. The video capabilities seem to have majorly improved from primary sensor and bokeh seems like a step up as-well! The additional surprises were looks in photos and videos that make them ready to send, which is fab! And the orientation for both portrait and landscape capturing in the pro apps!