Join now - be part of our community!

O Ring Seals for HDR-AS15

O Ring Seals for HDR-AS15

I recently bought an action camera for a diving holiday and was concerned about damaging the seal on the waterproof housing. I have discovered that Sony do not supply spare seals even though the insructions state they have a life of around a year. The only solution offered was to purchase a new housing. A bit of experimentation and I have found that a 40mm inside diameter by 2mm cross section nitrile O ring is a perfect replacement for the original. I bought 10 for £3.99 including postage from Ebay so now I have spares in case the original gets damaged or breaks

3 REPLIES 3
mihkyr
New

very good advice  , thanks

more details about the means of getting these o rings would be helpfull.

I have a question of my own..  i bought the action cam on the 5th of june and used it for diving a few times with very satisfactory results,,

on my fifth dive with the cam though , no more than 25 m deep ,  the case got  water in it and the cam was damaged completely 😞 ,,,   lucky me i had purchased an extra replacement insurance from the retail store o got tha cam , so the next day i took it to them and it was replaced immediately with a new one..

I am worried now about what to do so it does not happen again,,  the cam and the case were new ,  everytime after the dive i carefully rinced the case with fresh water and wiped it and also i was very carefull while inserting the cam and sealing the case...

Another thng i noticed is that the special front for diving that i also purchased , had also gotten water in it self,, (seems to be two parts sealed together..

I would be gratefull for any advice about preventing this from happening again,

Michael , Rhodes island , Greece

johnohuk
Explorer

I dived with mine to 42m last year no problems but in September it flooded in 23m in the sea.... rinsed it/dryed it out and no probs, worked again... I was lucky... Dived again at the weekend in fresh water to 28m and it flooded...groan... fingers crossed.. it will work again..

johnohuk
Explorer

Rinsed it out again, left in the heating cupboard for three days and fine....just took it to the Red Sea diving and had no problems.. 

https://vimeo.com/90581529: https://vimeo.com/90581529

This was with new orings as suggested here... from ebay....