Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
stplant43
Explorer

Simple do not buy a Sony Sent from my iPad Steve Plant
1337domz
Explorer

I've only recently bought one so could quite easilly take it back, but I'll be keeping it as it's got a great picture, and does what I need mostly (4k, optical pass through)

Kodi works fine with my limited testing (I'm a Plex user mainly, that doesn't output surround sound yet but I'm hopeful they will fix that..).

I think Sony bit off more than it could chew with being the first TV manufacturer to use Android TV. It's a very young OS and isn't very slick in terms of animations. I'm hoping some of the sluggishness will be fixed Google's end so as long as Sony keep pushing the latest updates of the OS then I am happy. The graphics card of the TV is obviously good as it can push 4K, renders all sorts of videos in Kodi etc fine, so why a simple interface is so sluggish is beyone me, I'm hoping its to due to Hardware acceleration not being used on Android TV yet.

My main worry is the TV won't get any updates as soon as the 2016 models come out. Hopefully the 2016 models run Android as well, which gives a glimmer of hope for continued support.

I use my Xbox one as my TV guide (BT Youview box is passed through it via HDMI), I use the Xbox Plex app as the one on the TV doesn't output surround yet. The new Xbox One interface for TV listings is super responsive, does PIP and makes the Sony excuse of an EPG look like it was created by a 14 year old in a basement somewhere.

If I didn't have an Xbox or a BT Youview box I think the TV would be near unusable if used daily to watch TV in it's current state

profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

@livehappy wrote:

Hello, 

I am really in a conflict here. shall I buy it or no. 

common sense after reading all this is to run away from it. 

geeky stupid curious me is telling me go ahead and buy it . 

is it really impossible to use. my wife will  probably use it just to watch youview (essentialy) I have a youview box if the installed youview does not really work. 

I also have another two devices that will be connected to it. a PS4 and an XBMC box  ( kodi ) which i guess can get rid off if the android OS works fine and I am able to install kodi. 

my current tv is being funny. time to change. i so want to buy but reviews everywhere making me hestitate.

just to add : those two TVs what is exactly the difference as I cant really tell : 

Sony KD-43X8305C and Sony KD43X8309CBU . the first is from amazon, the second is from PCworld

any real honest advise from this set owners will be great. 

Thanks

I would just wait now for 2016, and get the new model as having a new TV for a month isn't worth it, hopefully the 2016 android TV's will be much better than the ones we have been beta testing for Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
ricsmith5

i agree with that, wait until the new model comes around, hopefully with a fully functional system already installed. it's one thing to say android systems will require updates to keep them running but you should have the tv actually working first before dumping it on customers and then start harping on about updates in the future.

if you bought a car from a dealer you do not expect it to come without seats or tyres and only after purchase to be told they will be available in the future - perhaps!

livehappy
Explorer

Thanks all for your replies. 

Disappointing , lol but will go with your advices. not buying it.

however my TV is cooked and I need to get one soon. hunt will begin again for a new one. 

thanks again

john.pringle

Some people on here are having problems that have been reported to Sony but there are a lot of people that are happy with their sets My only problem is when I turn tv on next day sometimes I'm met with a blank screen with sound coming from my sky box this is easily fixed by holding power button on remote for 6 seconds and it reboots. Although frustrating I'm hoping Sony will fix it in the next update. As for whether to buy this tv. I would buy it again because the picture is superb. As long as you can get it for a good price like I did Sent from my iPad
cozzykim

I've just had a message from some elderly friends.

When I first bought my 49X8309 (which I returned to Currys) I mentioned to them how good the picture was.

They are totally non-techie and they went and bought a 65X.... from JL.

They've been having problems ever since and have just asked JL to help, JL immediately knew exactly what they were talking about and offered them an instant refund, saying that they have had many many returns of these sets.

Come on Sony, get your finger out and get some interim fixes before you're left with a PR disaster and a potential class action.

To my mind, these TVs are CLEARLY not fit for purpose, and EU law gives consumers the right to seek redress, not least in the UK small claims court.

You MUST put more resources into fixing these problems.

Al_Charles

I gave up posting on here, because people dont want to take advice or work together.

We are all aware of the issues and if you take a realistic approach, know these tvs will never be what sony advertised or wanted them to be.

People talk on here, but in truth thats all you do. I asked you months ago to come together as a group, this would have given Sony more to concider, single people they can ignore and fob off this we already know, a large group they cannot. However no one was interested.

My advise is simple, If you are looking to purchase, then concider really carefully what acutualy works of the sony 2015 range. If you have purchased and are able to return your set, then make the decision.

In my opinion these TV's have a great picture thats all, everything else is eye candy that does not work as Sony intended.

Finally Sony will never recall these tvs, why some people think that will happen is a joke in itself.

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@cozzykim wrote:

They've been having problems ever since and have just asked JL to help, JL immediately knew exactly what they were talking about and offered them an instant refund, saying that they have had many many returns of these sets.

Come on Sony, get your finger out and get some interim fixes before you're left with a PR disaster and a potential class action.

To my mind, these TVs are CLEARLY not fit for purpose, and EU law gives consumers the right to seek redress, not least in the UK small claims court.

You MUST put more resources into fixing these problems.

I was visiting a significant department store on Saturday, from the customer collections dept came a guy wheeling a trolly on which was 5 Sony TVs in boxes that had obviously been opened & re-taped with ordinary brown parcel tape. Where they will end up is anybodies guess.

I think this says a lot.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
haribo411
Explorer

So I bought the KD55S8005c 6 weeks ago and so far I think it's brilliant. I use a VM TiVo box so haven't used any of the satellite stuff or youview functions that seem to have caused so many of the issues on here. I use Kodi for streaming and to access my HDD and it works perfectly. Netflix etc is also good but I do have an issue with lip sync on 4K Netflix which I'm hoping an optical cable may resolve. Also Amazon ultra HD doesn't look any different to standard HD which is s bit confusing. It has had a couple of crashes, but I was ready for this as Android does crash every now and then. Saying that so does Windows and iOS so I take the view that if you run any modern OS it's bound to need a reboot occasionally to clear the cache. Pictures awesome and the functions all work quickly. Linked it to a Maxell sound bar using ARC and no problems at all aside from the Netflix 4K issue. So far very happy and hoping it stays this way.