Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
MaxUHD

I have a 4K set, 49X8307CSU which is behaving itself without any major issues. Even YouView seems to work ok. Just occasional sluggishness which is cured by a reset using the power button on the remote. I have auto updates disabled and since the set is ok and the firmware only seemed to address bugs that I'm not experiencing I didn't bother with it. There is definitely a problem with Sony's implementation of Android TV; all these pages of complaints are testament to that. But since I'm getting good use out of the set I'll stick with it. If a later firmware edition adds new and useful functionality then I'll just take that as a bonus.

Forgot to add. Anyone who wants to take a closer look at their TV system specs could download AIDA64 from the GoogleTV store. It will report on memory, storage and CPU stats. Mine is reporting 2 cpu cores with an overall CPU utilization figure of between 6 and 8% on average. It seems to run Kodi smooth as silk with no issues at all. So it doesn't seem underpowered for what I'm asking it to do?

mrrcoffey
Explorer

Anyone else's system time wrong, regardless of whether you choose 'network time' or 'broadcast time'? Mine seems not to update itself. Only noticed this from latest firmware update.

Jimmyjamh
Explorer

Yes I have the same time issues. It always seems to run 20 mins behind. I've set it to manual now. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@DarrellM wrote:

Well for me, I bought mine back in June 2015 (KDL-43W807C), I put up with the lack of iplayer, itvplayer, Youview etc and the TV was updated to all those over the course of June - December 2015. 

I put up with the lip sync issues, the slow tv guide, the 30 second remote control freezes, the issues with powering off, etc... etc...

Now the Feburary firmware update has come along, the TV totally is bricked after that update and I'm without any kind of working TV. What category would you put me in  :slight_smile: :slight_smile: !!!!

Complicit bystander?  :smileycry::smileybomb::smileybroken_heart::smileyangry::smileyrainbow::smileybomb::smileycry:

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
rui789
Explorer

Anybody bought this TV from Tesco? 

I purchased this set on 12 Dec, 2015 and I'm fuming. The TV is extremely sluggish when switching channels, DNLA streaming is torturous - I've got high speed internet and a Bravia set from 2014 which plays flawlessly but trying to stream the same thing on this model is a pain in the ass - constant buffering and freezing. I hate YouView's TV guide and have disabled it. I really want to return this - even though it's got amazing picture quality - it's not worth the trouble. Yes, I've updated to the last FEB firmware. I'm so annoyed at Sony for selling me a slightly dysfunctional TV.

Anyone got advice on how to go about returning this set without all the hassle?

ALSO, I need a replacement, what set would you recommend - 50inch is my preference.

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@mrrcoffey wrote:

Anyone else's system time wrong, regardless of whether you choose 'network time' or 'broadcast time'? Mine seems not to update itself. Only noticed this from latest firmware update.

after the update, for the first time ever, the time was wrong (20 mins slow) when watching from an external hdmi. I switched to a Freeview channel and it corrected itself. Need to watch this!

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@Anonymous as promised I've Factory reset on 7th Feb after the update on 2nd Feb. Reloaded the few apps I use.

So far it seems OK, with one issue noted this morning, which may relate to your channel issue. Last night on switch off via remote I was watching YouView Ch12 (Dave), this morning I switched on via remote stby butteon and the set came on tuned to ch 1 (BBC One), then the YouView logo loaded and after a few second the set tuned itself to ch 12 (Dave) without any I/P from me or the remote... ODD, something slightly amiss here. Not a big one for me and I couldn't repeat the problem.

I haven't noted the remote freeze issue since the reset and I have been quite active with the remote.. loading apps etc. I'm not expecting this to be resolved by the reset as I have noted before it gets more of an issue the more you use the set since a reset (factory or Soft).

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
psp888

i have the same issue, TV turning on itself randomly.  Never seems to go into proper standby as I can always see the casting button on youtube app, even though the TV's been off for hours.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@rui789 wrote:

Anybody bought this TV from Tesco? 

I purchased this set on 12 Dec, 2015 and I'm fuming. The TV is extremely sluggish when switching channels, DNLA streaming is torturous - I've got high speed internet and a Bravia set from 2014 which plays flawlessly but trying to stream the same thing on this model is a pain in the ass - constant buffering and freezing. I hate YouView's TV guide and have disabled it. I really want to return this - even though it's got amazing picture quality - it's not worth the trouble. Yes, I've updated to the last FEB firmware. I'm so annoyed at Sony for selling me a slightly dysfunctional TV.

Anyone got advice on how to go about returning this set without all the hassle?

ALSO, I need a replacement, what set would you recommend - 50inch is my preference.

I presume you bought it online? If so, contact Tesco Customer Services, describe the issues, and explain that the set is 'not fit for purpose' and 'not of merchantable quality', and you would like to return it for a refund.

Emphasise that the problem is in the software, which you now discover Sony have made repeated attempts to fix without success, so there is no repair option appropriate here.

It would be polite, and may make matters more straightforward, if you can source your replacement TV from them, just paying the difference. I don't know which Sony model you need to match, but I have Googled your Tesco options for you, at least, and I would get the most suitable Samsung from these if one of them suits you.

I do not think any Samsung will give any ground to Sony for picture quality, so no worries on that score, and the Samsung is dangerously liable to work properly 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update @frogger38

To All whom are having issues with the TV switching on.  Can you please disable 'Daydream' in the settings by setting 'When to sleep' to NEVER.

Please post back if it helped or not?