Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
sassbs
Explorer

well it looks like Sony still have not bothered to fix the Amazon Video 5.1 issue, this is getting ridiculous now I wish they would say why they won't fix it especially as the US have had it working since last Summer.

If they won't fix it, maybe they can give me a 4K Fire TV to make up for them not caring :slight_smile:

Tags (3)
profile.country.GB.title
Dazrise3

I tested pip using sky. Must admit took a few moments for it to show up on
the action menu. Does anyone know if a usb stick can be used for hdd
alfonzobonzo

Been waiting for this HD recording for an age, now its here, i realise that the KDL-43W756C doesnt have twin tuner.

***** what a waste of time. This set is so retarded. Looks like I'll be hanging on to my 5 year old HDR-FOX T2 Freeview+ for a good few years longer.

So very dissapointed. my fault. should have returned it when I had the moral right, never again SONY.

Jimmyjamh
Explorer

@andipr wrote:

Well that was a bit of a disappointing update - I've been waiting for PIP / PAP for a long time and can't get it to work.

I don't use digital tuners or youview - all of my TV is via Sky HD box, so I can't test the PIP/PAP there, but does anyone how  to PIP/PAP two HDMI sources? I was expecting to do this but when using the action button I try and select the second source and it is greyed out in the list of source options.

And is there anyway to cast from a device in one window and have another window display a HDMI source?

PIP/PAP was working ok for me. I had my PS4 working through HDMI 4 (ARC), clicked 'action menu' and the selceted watch TV (I think) and it split my screen. I only had sound from the PS4 though and could figure a way of switching between them.  

Inha1966
Explorer

Is the incompatibility between HDD recording and YouView permanent, or are there plans to address this in the future?

alanxce

I haven't actually tried it but in some of the official blurb I read yesterday it said USB stick would work for recording as long as it is FAT32 format. If I stumble across the blurb again I will post it on here.

fedidan
Explorer

Installed the new update last night - was really looking forward to HDD functionality and it seems to work fine. I'm really disappointed though. I assumed HDD record would come with pause/rewind live TV. As far as i can tell it doesn't. Pretty gutted as I was hoping to get rid of my STB. Serves me right for assuming I guess.

profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

If you turn off youview to enable hdd recording which by the way is a joke as youview should not effect recording will i then be stuck with navigating through the tv guide 1 channel at a time when it should jump a page at a time like youview can?

alfonzobonzo

@fedidan Yes, Isnt it awful?

It seems to be litterally LESS useful than plugging a standalone VCR into the tv. At least with that I can watch something else during a record.

Not even a pause feature on a single tuner TV is terrible (my model). And probably now theyre not even legally obliged to make it any better as all the advertised features box's have been ticked.

Fully expect these tv's to be written off with regards to support updates from now on. Sony will just want to draw a line under them.

dataghost
Explorer

Hi All,

I have come tot he end of my rope with this TV and I am now looking to return it.  I have raised a complaint via the Resolver website which tracks your complaints in a case file and helps you escalate if you are not getting answers.  In my complaint I have included a link to this forum with all the evidence Currys will ever need.  Meanwhile Im trying to decide what to replace it with, I may add a little more on and buy something better.  So far this is the set that has really caught my eye:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-55ef950v-smart-3d-...

I used it in thr store and its a joy to look at and navigate.  The picture is stunning and you can use the magic remote as a kind of wiimote pointer to select the options you want.  Web OS was smooth and fast, and looks waaaay better than what we currently have.

I'll let you know how I get on with the complaint.  I have already mentioned that I KNOW they are aware of the issues and that I KNOW they have already taken sets back, so we shall see.