Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
jack32467

@Twobins so you've returned it and don't have it anymore? why do you care how long it takes?

Triswillmott

Update: just called Sony (who were useless as ever) then coincidentally got a text off the repair centre 5 minutes after ending the call.
After they text me Monday saying no fault found on test tv being delivered back, they must've decided to have a second look. The text I received today said they'd ordered spares for my tv and we're waiting for them to be delivered.
I just got off the phone with them and they said pcb boards are shot and need to be replaced! The tv was brand new in August and was used for about 6 weeks. Either I'm doing something to these Sony TVs that they just don't like, or I have the worst luck.

Tris Willmott
Twobins

I returned it because I was worried about being stuck with something that didn't work as I wanted it to. I only had 90 days to decide and returned it about three weeks ago to JL on the 89th day. ( Sony weren't able to give me a date for the next software update)  I liked the look of the TV and the 43inch is perfect for my room. The only other 4K at that size is the LG - but its nice to have Kodi available on the TV rather than a under tv box. If Sony are able to sort out what needs sorting out, I'll re purchase the tv. Im currently making do with an old 32 inch flat screen Toshiba that is well past its sell by date, so I do have an interest still.

EggDublin

The update certainly has improved the response times when changing channels and menu's but I do have one issue that worries me which I'd be interested to hear if others have experienced.

The TV (55X8509C) is wall mounted and for the first 45mins to an hour the tv "Crackles" as it heats up. After that the base of the TV gets quite hot (not too hot to touch but far from just warm).

It may be a normal operating temperature  for this model but it's a lot warmer than I would expect or have seen before.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

profile.country.GB.title
Calibar
Explorer

Why does HDR look so saturated? 

Kevwoods12

@EggDublin 

Where on the Base the bezel or the rear casing? I can't say ive noticed mine getting warm and I have the same model as you. I'll check properly when I'm home. 

Triswillmott

@EggDublin

That's the exact problem I had with mine! Crackled and popped for the first hour or so when switching on. It went in for repair last week and been informed today it's pcb boards.
If you can if return the tv I'd do that and get it replaced. If that's not an option i'd call Sony support and get it in to be looked at.

Tris Willmott
EggDublin

Thanks for the quick replies.

@Kevwoods12 It's at the base of the TV where the speakers are - all the way across.

@Triswillmott That's exactly it. I'm now a bit worried about safety so I'll bring it back today.

Sony 4k Android - the gift that keeps giving!

Triswillmott

@EggDublin Good luck, hope your experience is smoother than the painfully slow experience I've endured the past 4 weeks.

Just me, or cant we play HDR content using USB? Looked like **** on the
75X8505C I tested on /: