Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Auto picture setting is broken. If I choose say PS4, it will set game mode. But when I switch back to Sky it will stay locked on game mode unless I disable auto picture....

chrgray

Another bug in this new firmware.  Every so often, all on its own, my TV displays a Google Cast screen, so I have to select HDMI4 to get back to watching TV.

How can I disable Google Cast, or better still, revert to a working firmware?

SimonM_DK
Explorer

I just tried my first factory reset which has resulted in an unresponsive TV (55W755C) with a black screen... Do you normally get any status indication when performing the operation? -and how long does your TV take to do a reset?

Hard restart (power plug) has no effect. The reset was attempted after successfully updating to 3.179 (EU).

Best Regards

Simon

chrgray

Another bug.  Every so often, I keep getting a message displayed "Cannot Play Song".  How do I fix this, it's very annoying.

Davidrfarr
Explorer

Same problem as SimonM_DK. Updated no problems, watching BBC 1 for an hour or so and getting lip sync issues, so went for a factory reset. Sony logo appeared but no android start up logo, just black screen. Waited 15 mins and went for a hard reset - again giet sony logo but no android astart up logo and black screen. Any ideas??

adyjay33

Yea your TV is knackered....well done Sony...
KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
mystiqu
Explorer

mystiqu wrote:

I think this version for UK is the equivalent version of 3.169, made for the rest of Europe.
http://www.sony.se/support/sv/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/bravia-kd-4Kmodels-firmware-update-v3169-eub... (swedish - use chrome thanslate :wink:   )

Version 3.169 fixed pretty much all issues for me
 -A/V sync issues
 -Remote lag

-Black screen

-Freezes

-etc

Sure, the UI is not the most responsive in the world but in 10 days (since the update) I've not experienced any of the issues above. It now e.g. checks for a valid network connection before trying to do something that requires just that - probably something that caused some issues before.

I have only noticed some remote lag when being a bit too fast in the menus - something that resolves itself if leaving the remote "alone" for a few seconds.

Huge improvement  I must say!

//Mike

Forgot to mention...
I got some weird behaviour after my update, and followed the routine below which fixed all my issues.
I never thought it would work since factory reset usually doesn't fix anything - just keeps you busy :wink:

Since my TV is set to Swedish, I'm not sure my menu items are translated correctly but I'll give it a try anyway :slight_smile:

1. Go to "Home" - "Settings" - "TV" - "Storage and reset" - "Factory Reset"  (basically - a factory reset)
Do nothing for 30 minutes after this  (this does a factory reset but keeps the newest firmware).

2. Do the setup (config, channels, network, google account etc) and after you are done keep the TV on for 30 minutes to allow background services to be correctly loaded.

3. Optional: Disable "remote control" (using the android/IOS app)
I disabled this during the setup since I don't use it

That's it - my KD-55X8505C is actually working

//Mike

mk1.golf.1983

@Davidrfarr, if you have hdmi and or usb plugged into the back, remove these then cycle the power off on at the wall then hold the power button on the remote for a couple of seconds, our 5th new tv done this last week and the above cured it.

Deanfeuillade

I had the same issue and instantly regretted running the update, especially as I didn't have any issues beforehand.

I just had the black screen with the white LED indicator lit up. I ended up unplugging at the jack point into the TV 3 times before the TV rebooted.

Tarzion

@SimonM_DK wrote:

I just tried my first factory reset which has resulted in an unresponsive TV (55W755C) with a black screen... Do you normally get any status indication when performing the operation? -and how long does your TV take to do a reset?

Hard restart (power plug) has no effect. The reset was attempted after successfully updating to 3.179 (EU).

Best Regards

Simon

I had exactly the same problem and I ended up replacing the TV.

Even if you manage to fix it, the problem will return and get worse.

EDIT: Are you based in the UK and is your TV UK sourced?