Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

@angelacr

Yep had them for years. I use the iPhone app and the Windows 10 app to get them doing what I want.

the Xbox One can control them too

If you try Chariot, when you look up at the sky they go blue, out in the fields they go green and in a cave they go off.

the new controller box for them so you can talk to them, I still haven't got though.

Im hoping Google Weave will have an implementation soon and then that new box becomes another redundant piece of tech 

the he main thing I want is access like the Americans have on their sets too the PlayStation Store Video Unlimited app with all its 4K goodies. I've been waiting patiently for that for months. I've even been on the PlayStation Forums asking for an ETA as the Bravia forums don't know either

thanks for the reply

kind regards

richard

wicols
Explorer

Does anyone know if theres a way to get the "film mode" setting to work again after fw update? Or which fw version I should try to downgrade to to get it back?

julianblack

@wicols

As far as my understanding goes, you cannot downgrade the firmware on these
glorious TVs.
profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Quinnicus - thanks for the useful info as always.

Re "constructive feedback from you guys to Sony on features requested and additions you would like to make.  Please bullet point them for ease of reading"

From my perspective this is what I was expecting when I purchased the set:

• Both PIP and PAP should allow selection of any HDMI source for either window
  • Both PIP and PAP should allow selection of apps for either window
  • Both PIP and PAP should allow selection of data being cast from an external device

My argument for this is that the current PIP/PAP implementation only allows for users of the tuners/PC's to realise the full benefit of this feature. This exlcudes a whole raft of users from using this function given how many people use external sources connected via HDMI as their primary TV input nowadays.

My Model KD43X8309CBU
scoopy6

In case anyone did not receive it, This is what came from the links in the email notification of the update:-

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/121606

Twin Picture

Picture-in-Picture:
The ability to display the main content from your PC via HDMI, while displaying your TV (tuner) in a smaller window.

Picture-and-Picture:
The ability to display your Blu-ray Player /DVD or other consumer electronic device via HDMI, and your TV (tuner) - side-by-side - simultaneously.

(edit: I have been able only to try PAP and, at least for that, the size, relationship, and source for sound are interchangeable,

via the Action Menu.)

For more information on how to use Twin Picture, please see the following article: How to use the Twin Picture function on Sony's Android TV? http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/121698

NOTES:
Browser/Tuner, USB Tuner, Tuner/Tuner combinations are not available with Twin Picture
The Twin Picture functionality only supports Digital RF (2K) and analog RF signals

49X8309C in uk
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

Had to use reply option in mail again...

Every time we get an update the Sony Uk site goes down !

I got an email from Sony about the update, with links to explanations of PAP
etc. but the links don't work either... Good eh! Just like the TVs

>From the FAQ !

* We're working on it...

Sorry you can't reach the webpage you want.

Our engineers are working on the site right now, so come back later and
things will probably be fine again.
Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
diver5
Explorer

First poster so hi.

My tv updated to the new firmware with the USB HDD recording a few dasy ago.

Since the update I am now unable to have seperate 'pictute' setting on each input, normally I have 'cinema pro' on the internal tuner and 'standard' on my PS4 HDMI input. I now cannot do this as the picture setting is now applied globally, can anyone else confirm this is correct as I did not do a factory reset as I didnt want to have to install all my Kodi plugins again if possible.

thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

@andipr wrote:

Quinnicus - thanks for the useful info as always.

Re "constructive feedback from you guys to Sony on features requested and additions you would like to make.  Please bullet point them for ease of reading"

From my perspective this is what I was expecting when I purchased the set:

• Both PIP and PAP should allow selection of any HDMI source for either window
  • Both PIP and PAP should allow selection of apps for either window
  • Both PIP and PAP should allow selection of data being cast from an external device

My argument for this is that the current PIP/PAP implementation only allows for users of the tuners/PC's to realise the full benefit of this feature. This exlcudes a whole raft of users from using this function given how many people use external sources connected via HDMI as their primary TV input nowadays.

Hi

Add to list

• When using the normal tv guide (not youview) you need to be able to scroll down a page at a time rather than by single channel as all other TV’s manage to do (inc youview)

Winsmith1984
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus

• When watching content on a set-top box with IR blaster set up, it would be good if the Guide button on the remote showed the TV guide for the set-top box, rather than the TV's TV guide.  Eg, when watching with a Sky box, pressing the Guide button on the remote currently shows the TV's Freeview guide. To show the Sky TV guide, I have to press Action Menu, and then select Guide (STB) from the list.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@diver5 just tried to emulate your problem, firmware was updated by the automatic process, I have not done a full system reset since the update, but I have done a power off reset. I can set Cimema Pro on my Tuner and Standard on Sky+ HDMI input so it seems to be OK. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.