Join now - be part of our community!

55XE can’t turn volume down only up

profile.country.GB.title
Mdrandall
New

55XE can’t turn volume down only up

My brand new 55XE8396 linked to a DZ680W audio system has a weird bug. When I turn the tv on it’s powers up the audio as expected and the volume is set to whatever it was when shutdown. However, I can’t turn down the volume using the remote, only turn the volume up. In other words if the system powers up at say volume 15 I can’t turn it down below 15. The only way to turn down the volume is to use the dedicated audio remote control or the front panel rotary *****. Once the volume has been turned down, I can use the tv remote to vary it up and down ok but only as low as the minimum set by the audio remote.

This is definitely an issue with the 55XE as it worked ok with my recently broken KDL-50 and also I’ve tried another old Sony tv from my bedroom.

Anyone know why I can’t use the 55XE to turn down the volume on my audio system? It’s not acceptable and I might have to return the tv if there isn’t a fix.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Sometimes issues like that may get fixed power cycling the TV (power off the TV and unplug the power supply for few seconds). Actually I'd do the same for both TV and DZ680W. Just give it a try, and in case please let me know.

profile.country.GB.title
Mdrandall
New

Thanks, I tried that. Both devices powered off but it’s still got the same problem.  It’s a shame that two ther TVs including one which is 10 years old work perfectly.

Any other suggestions? 

profile.country.GB.title
Mdrandall
New

Well I've been trying all weekend to see if I can find a solution to my problem and so far I've failed. In fact I've also noticed that using the mute then unmute function locks the volume at that level. In other words, if I tempotrarily mute the sound, when I unmute it, I have to get up and go to the audio system and manually wind the volume ***** down to minimum to fully restore remote volume control. Weird and very annoying.