Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi all.. Well I got home from work tonight (London, UK) excited to install new software and was keeping my fingers crossed that Marshmellow would work as good experience as my Sony Xperia Z5 which was fantastic!  funny enough thanks to Sony real quick software update I got Nougat 7 now and that's awesome... Anyway back to my TV KD-43X8307.. 

First impressions wow I'm realy impressed!!!!  This is soooooooo much better all round the TV feels like the £xxx alot of money I spent on it what a substantial difference. 

1. Agree with above I'm not alone picture is brighter and also noticed it was sharper so I was not going mad. 

2.Tv also seems.far snappier and faster smoother in animation glides are realy smooth now. 

3.Any lags more or less gone or hardly any that you would notice. 

3. And it just feels so much more professional alot more throught went into development it seems maybe Sony listened and got their act together. 

4. The use of external Harddisk is just brilliant so I put on my new Toshiba USB 3 drive and transfered all data. 

5.Youview alot more smother snd snappier switching between channels. 

6.opera Web browser also was much faster on loading pages. I would prefer Chrome shame Google or Sony could not give us that option. Licence issues no dought 

Input menus and action menus no lag at all and love the brighter look and it's far clearer to read great job Sony and Google. 

And that's just first impressions it took Sony and Google long enough to bring is mainly 2015 models upto date but at last I have or we all have a TV that realy performs now. 

Maybe if Sony keeps its promise we could get later this year or next year Andriod Nougat 7 but for now I'm realy happy. 

Lastly this build number is higher we have PKG 3.8 and has the lastest goggle security patch December 2016 for marshmallow that is. 

The US version that was out last year was only PKG 3.7 so alot of extra bug fixes. 

profile.country.SE.title
vispen74

I can't believe it, how can DTS passthrough not work now when the OS supports it? 

"Yep, looks like mediatek forgot marshmallow supports DTS passthrough.
They probably just made a c/p from lollipop, or they can't make a difference between decoding (for which I guess they don't have a license) and passthrough."

Were do I send my complains? 

Text copied from Kodi Forum

profile.country.GB.title
JL9230
Explorer

Can anyone please confirm that TwinPicture function is now working?

Is displaying 2 internal tuner sources possible or what is possible?

I ended up returning my XD93 running PKG3.533.0109EUB because I was not able to make this work, even when following the Sony how-to https://community.sony.dk/t5/how-tos-fa ... -p/2152615

BR

Jan

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Marcd51

4. The use of external Harddisk is just brilliant so I put on my new Toshiba USB 3 drive and transfered all data. 

I would not call that brilliant at all. I mean, it is great if U use it as internal storage but in that case it is useless for anything else and you can't transfer files from your PC or whatever.

And in case of a USB drive which is not configured as storage there's no way to write on it. At least I didn't find any and I spent the whole day trying. Even when the app is asking for permission I can't grant it one. And that suddenly makes my TV a lot more dumber than it was. I already regret that I upgraded.

profile.country.GB.title
iOllivier

Installed this update last night on my KD-65XD8599.

1] Definitely snappier user interface all over the board.

Picture seems to be brighter .. or maybe it's just some picture settings got changed after the update (?)

2] My first concern is why my Netflix and Amazon Apps dissapeared from 'My Apps'?

I can find them in the Fetured Apps .. but not in the place I have control over where they are situated.

Any advice ->> ?????

3] Also the feature that annoys me is (not only after the update) theFeatured Apps section. How to get rid of this?

4] Info Menu maybe a bit more eye catchy but it's usability went down from 7 to 2 imo. (1-10)

5] Still hate how the picture setup menu take over a half of the screen. At least could be translucent.

6] I can't tell anything about tv tuners and a tv channel apps features as I don't watch Live TV.

My tuners are turned off completly.

(Netflix, Amazon, Plex, YouTube, Playstation Now, Now TV , Apple TV .. HaystackTV  .. from time to time some other internet feeded tv catchup apps)

:slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
HUSH2H

before using it to update the tv i formated my usb drive then copied over the pkg file

i just discovered something interesting: the .pkg files are unpacked on the usb stick, is that right?

Sony

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@HUSH2H

Same was mine but without the folders:

com.google.android.gms

com.google.android.album

just music and videos

Seems normal

profile.country.GB.title
HUSH2H

i tried  what you said, i managed to get the white light but nothing else

also tried this: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/75705

the tv is in warranty so i guess i will have to send it back to Sony for repair !

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Most things are much the same. The main fault I've seen is the video app doesn't play the correct aspect ratio. Playing a 2:35:1 film (standard widescreen on most movies) from usb it plays it correctly for a split second then stretches it slightly vertically. This is particularly annoying as it can play the correct aspect ratio but something 'corrects' it to then stretch it. 

EggDublin

One thing I am having a problem with since the update on my XD8577 is the voice command on the remote has stopped working. (8577 has the voice feature built in to the main remote). Have tried updating the remote firmware too but it fails. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, out of interest,anyone know if there is there any difference between the 8509 and 8577 firmware? They are seperate downloads but identical file names.