Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.SE.title
vispen74

You don't have FS file explorer installed? It seems to unmount any external
memory and getting apps to crash from time to time.
I read it on a Google+ Android-TV group, uninstalled FS from my Bravia, and
haven't got any of those issues since then.
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

If you need a file manager, use X-Plore.

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

If You want, you can use Total Commander, too.

It has LAN & FTP Plugin.

HeikkiTS
Explorer

Will this be fixed?

I have a brand new KD-55A1 with Android 7.0 and it has this same problem.

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Most issues can be fixed by doing a factory reset bit of a pain I know but it worked for me on my 2015 set with numerous problems during the year.Digital dual tuner and Sat dual tuner included.

Also switch mains off every night to TV as that helps to erase system problems.

Not sure if 2017 models have similar problems.

Nougat will not be released to TV until Sony tests have concluded.

Still cannot get over why the BEEB is not using 4K they used to be first with new tech now Canal plus France are much better.Only Free UHD on Astra 2 is a test session which is brilliant on Sony 4Ks /Panasonic ,not so on Lgs or Sammys check this in your local Quality store which has satellite.

Netflix and Amazon Prime are perfect too 4K and 5.1 audio.

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Most of those usb problems are googles integration with Sony Tvs and mostly a Google problem.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Why would you say that? Most USB problems on Sony ATV in my opinion are MediaTek USB driver related. Google does not "integrate USB with Sony TV".

I have numerous issues which a factory reset does not get rid of. Amazon 4K is far from perfect on Sony ATV.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@pajo100 wrote:

Most of those usb problems are googles integration with Sony Tvs and mostly a Google problem.

while I agree that the way google is treating external storage on android is ridiculous, those USB related issues have nothing to do with google. I have more SONY products with android and they all work with external storage (SD cards and USB OTG) that ridiculous way google intended to. The difference is that they are all based on qualcomm SOC and not the cheap mediacrap one. The only excuse for SONY in this case is that actually there isn't any other vendor that makes Adroid TV SoC. Apart from nvidia for their shield but we will never see that in any TV I'm afraid. All other TVs with Android TV platform that I know of (Philips, TCL) are based on MTK.  The only other device which is Adroid TV based that I know of is Xiaomi mi box with AM logic inside and USB work there just fine.

There are bunch of others TVs and boxes which are based on some fork of android but that's not relevant since Android TV as platform is very specific.

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Because Google make Android as a standard o/s and it is up to manafacturers /equipment/users to give them feedback for any inconsistances related to their equipment hence the wait for updates from Sony Nvidia etc.

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Saw a recent post where someone said ES explorer was causing usb problems he unistalled it and all was fine after that so might be worth a try.