Join now - be part of our community!

Audio Dropout- Dolby Digital

loudand
Explorer

Audio Dropout- Dolby Digital

Sony KD-55X8509C

Firmware- V3.47 (Latest)

I am experiencing audio dropouts intermittently when using a Dolby Digital signal on the digital optical port to a Sonos Playbar. The audio drops for a second or 2 then comes back.

I have proved it is the TV by doing the following: Connecting the Playbar directly to Sky Q Silver box and 2 x blu ray players and I experience no drop out at all. I have also tried multiple different optical cables. When any of the devices pass through the TV the dropout occurs.

Sonos have confirmed that this is case from the diagnostic reports I have sent them.

I know I can use the PCM setting which alleviates the issue however I shouldn’t have to do that and I want to use Dolby Digital as my Sonos setup sounds much better.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

Thanks

Andy

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Wizzie
Explorer

So I have excluded the Sony TV as being the cause of the problem. TV, Sky Q and LG bluray all optical out, via a switch to the Sonos playbar. DD5.1 from TV no dropouts, LG bluray no dropouts (albeit not DD5.1), Sky Q continues with dropouts. Time to call Sonos! Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wizzie wrote:

Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Hi @Wizzie

See my post above on first page for links to the Sonos forums for complaints on Sonos audio drop-outs.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
guitarman60

This has been discussed a lot, but there is a workaround. After diagnosing the fault and proving that it's a Sky/ Virginmedia issue, you can get full Dolby sound by connecting your box to an HDMI port on your tv. Don't connect it via any AV amp or the fix won't work. 

I have an optical connection too, so I can replicate the dropouts easily and quickly to any so called "engineer " who cares to test my setup. 

We have two Android Sony tv's and it's the minibox that causes problems if connected to the amplifier, or via optical. 

Sky's answer is to set your sound to "normal" rather than Dolby. Sorry, I paid a lot for your service and my AV setup, and that's just not an option. 

So so there it is, Sky have admitted there's a fault, and we are to receive a discount when the bug is fixed. 

So, HDMI directly to a non ARC port on your tv should give you full Dolby and no drops. 

Hope this helps. 

Jeff

Jeffrey Cooper