Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia TV Google program/movie suggestions

profile.country.GB.title
SimonRobbins
Explorer

Bravia TV Google program/movie suggestions

I have recently bought a Sony Bravia XR55A80J which of course has Google TV built in. I liked the OS so bought a Chromecast with Google TV for an old Samsung I have, so that that can work in a similar way.

My question is, the Chromecast comes up with useful suggestions of what I might like to watch, around 95% of which are from apps and services which are either free, or which I subscribe to such as iPlayer and ITVX. The Bravia TV on the other hand keeps suggesting stuff from Plex, Amazon Prime and Disney+ which I have no interest in, nor do I subscribe to.

Are there any settings I can adjust, or anything else to make the TV suggest the same sort of content as the Chromecast? Or at the very least stop suggesting certain services.

3 REPLIES 3
Piscie
Community Team

Hello @SimonRobbins, the Google suggestions cannot be adjusted unfortunately 😞 What is your full TV model?

Piscie
Community Team

SimonRobbins, sorry I didn't catch the model name in the original post! You can actually put the TV in apps-only mode, which limits the amount of recommended content shown on the home screen. (Home - Settings - Accounts and login - select the registered account - then scroll down to apps only mode and enable it)

profile.country.GB.title
SimonRobbins
Explorer

Thanks, I have an XR55A80J

I am aware of the app only mode but i quite like the suggestions I just wish it would suggest things from what a I have available. The chrome cast with Google Tv on my other TV works much better.

I think it is because the YouView app has non standard versions of BBC iPlayer, ITVX, My5 etc and they don’t come up in the suggestions whereas the Chromecast has the standard versions and therefore makes suggestions from those apps.