Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI and Virgin TiVO box how to connect them?

filipedine
Explorer

HDMI and Virgin TiVO box how to connect them?

Hi,

i've recently purchased a S80C to, and I am using the Virgin Media service with a TiVO box. I've connected the TVs to the box using a HDMI cable. My issue is when I want to Chang channels I always have to use the box remote, which is very annoying and limits the app finctina

ities. Also when I first setup the tv/box, the tv didn't found any services.

Is there any way I can use the TV remote for changing channels on the box, while using HDMI connection, if so how do I do it?

I would like to thank you in advance for you help

thank

Fil

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi therr

To use the tv remote to operate a connected hdmi device, both the tv and device needs to support HDMI-CEC functions.  A quick scan of the VM forums indicates that the TIVO does not have this

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Does-Tivo-have-HDMI-CEC-yet-or-is-it-g...

Cheers

filipedine
Explorer

Hi Quinnincus,

Thanks for your help, the forum you suggested also speaks about a device made with raspberry pi, to enable CEC feature, have you had any exirience with such a device?

is there any specific device from Sony that allows enabling CEC function?

Many thanks

Fil

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have no experience with Rasp Pi im afraid, so i dont know.  The thing is, your TV does support CEC (named Bravia Sync), but the TiVO doesnt.  Hence its impossible to control the TiVO via the TV remote control.

What you would need is a Universal Remote Control, such as the Harmony range, this does support your TV and Tivo.

Taken from:

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

_20160123_184657.JPG

Cheers

filipedine
Explorer

Hi,

it it seems to me that on a 2k Euro tv not have CEC functionality is really out of this world... Specially when one think about what this TVs already do. But that's life... Is there any upgrade I can do on the to to have CEC functionality?

Your suggestion is really great, and will defenatly Change the remote if there is no upgrade. regarding this remote what is your opinion, is it good/bad, does Sony have any remote that to the same thing?

many thanks

Fil

Anonymous
Not applicable

filipedine wrote:

it it seems to me that on a 2k Euro tv not have CEC functionality is really out of this world...

The TV DOES support HDMI-CEC functions.  The Tivo does not.  

You will need to speak to Virgin media on why their tivo does not support this function, as this is where the fault lies - to see if the can add this to the tivo box

Sony does not sell universal or programmable remote controls

profile.country.GB.title
Simply4Me

This works fine for me, and only £15.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/tv-accessories/remote-controls/one-for-all-ur...

You can set each button to do exactly want you want. E.g. I have set mine to control all the TiVo functions but the volume, mute and on/off buttons control the TV instead

filipedine
Explorer

Hi, 

Thanks for your help, I am looking at URC and will take you suggestion in consideration. Many thanks 😀

Has you know this type of TV's can also be used with the TV Slidshow app, this app allow us to have the channels scheduled (in this case VM scheduling) and to operate the TVs via a "virtual" remote. The TV also change channels on the box but for that both device TV and Box have to have HDMI CEC capabilities.

For this to work properly I would have to change the box, does any one know which UK TV provider offeres a box that has HDMI CEC?

Fil

profile.country.GB.title
Simply4Me

"For this to work properly I would have to change the box, does any one know which UK TV provider offeres a box that has HDMI CEC?"

Virgin Media only offer the TiVo box.

If you change to another supplier you will not just have a different PVR but a completely different TV service that might be better or worse than you get with VM. And your broadband may be much slower, depending what contract you are on.

Surely these issues are far more significant than whether the PVR has CEC? 

philip49
New

We have just bought a new Sony Bravia with Google assistant. Having thought we had gone through the set up process we still cannot connect with the Virgin cable through the Tivo. Do I need to go back to factory settings on the Bravia and start again?