Join now - be part of our community!

KD48A9 Dolby Vision /HDMI 2.1?

profile.country.GB.title
Josh009

KD48A9 Dolby Vision /HDMI 2.1?

Hi there,

Two questions, number one. How do i access Dolby Vision? It says from retailers this tv has it but i can't locate it anywhere. There's no option in the picture mode settings and no option under video signal HDMI settings. All i get  is HDR10 and HLG, no option for Dolby Vision. Unless you have to be on a certain programme for it to pop up, i can't find it. 

Second question. Sonys own specs for this TV list "feature earc for HDMI2.1" does this mean its third HDMI port is infact a 2.1 or am i being mislead?

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Josh,

I have to apologize - I mixed up the specifications of the models..

A9 does support eARC only from HDMI 2.1 specs but nothing else.

Please also check below information:

HDMI 2.1 features

Type

Model

eARC

4K120

VRR

ALLM

8K LCD

ZH8

YES

YES*

NO

NO

ZG9

YES

YES*

NO

NO

4K OLED

A9S

YES

NO

NO

NO

A8

YES

NO

NO

NO

4K LCD

XH95

YES

NO

NO

NO

XH90/92

YES

YES*

YES*

YES*

XH85/91

YES

NO

NO

NO

XH80/81

NO

NO

NO

NO

Software update needed

Again, apologies for the confusion.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
Josh009

I'm not exactly versed in knowing a lot about this stuff. Are you saying that the eARC input doesn't rely on the current bandwith the other ports have? Does that mean it will take upless bandwidth than the others if you were running the tv at a higher spec when plugged into something like a PlayStation 5 at the other end? Or am i just making that up in my head 😂.

You'll have to describe it a bit better for me to understand, sorry. 

profile.country.GB.title
Josh009

Thanks Peter for the update. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Josh009  ha scritto:

I'm not exactly versed in knowing a lot about this stuff. Are you saying that the eARC input doesn't rely on the current bandwith the other ports have? Does that mean it will take upless bandwidth than the others if you were running the tv at a higher spec when plugged into something like a PlayStation 5 at the other end? Or am i just making that up in my head 😂.

You'll have to describe it a bit better for me to understand, sorry. 

ARC/eARC are return channels features (ARC means literally Audio Return Channel), they send signal from the TV back to the compatible device (an audio device only).

Video signal go through an HDMI connection the opposite way (FROM the device to the TV)

The bandwidth allocated to each flow of the connection is not shared, so you cannot use less of ARC/eARC channel and more for the video signal. Nonetheless it seems that the port labeled as ARC/eARC on Sony tv may have more than the standard 18gbps on the video channel. But this is only speculation being that there is no statement from Sony on this.

Is it more clear?

Thanks @Peter_S.  for the clarification, i missed up things as well referring to A8 specification, but they are exactly the same of the A9

profile.country.GB.title
Josh009

Yes that clears things up for me, thank you very much. I do hope Sony could clarify if this Hdmi 2.1 input has more than 18gpbs bandwidth and it isn't just for the feature of eARC. I can't see it located anywhere in the manual stipulating otherwise.

Well atleast this has informed me of my options. All i wanted was to run this tv with 60hz4k with HDR10. I've since read about Chroma sub sampling with video games in particular and it seems to make very little to no difference from 4:4 4 to the lower 4:2:2, 4:2:0, unless you're using it as a PC monitor. Still the extra bandwith wouldn't go a miss. I'm completely uninterested in 120hz, it's not something i would ever notice if it's not present.

Anyway thank you again for your help, hopefully others will take advice from this to.