Join now - be part of our community!

KD55X8509C Ethernet speed poor, and getting worse

pavsid
Explorer

KD55X8509C Ethernet speed poor, and getting worse

Hi all, I have a KD55X8509C Android TV.

I've noticed recently that streaming content has started buffering sometimes.

I have my TV connected via ethernet cable directly to the router. My broadband internet speed is around 150-160mbps and I have tested it on various PCs around the house.

Now, I realise that the ethernet card in the TV is only 100mbps, so I can only realistically expect to get 85mbps download speeds.

But, I am only getting 20-30mbps ,and it doesn't seem very stable. Even the ping is higher than I would have expected (about 20ms).

To elminate any issues with the ethernet cable to the TV, I plugged it into my laptop and had no issues getting 160mbps with a ping of 7-11ms. Granted, the laptop does have a Gigabit ethernet card, but I think with that result I can safely say the ethernet cable doesn't have any issues.

Even connected to WiFi is delivering better speed test results.

When I first got the TV i tested the ethernet and it came back with speeds of anywhere between 40-65mbps, which still isn't optimal, but better than 20-30mbps. So it seems to have got worse.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

BTW I have updated firmware to Android Marshmallow, but now realise the update has been pulled - could this issue be the reason why? Although the poor speeds were apparent before updating too.

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sorry that no one has responded to your post.  It seems it got missed.

Has things got better since the new marshmallow update just recently - 3.865?  Maybe a factory reset might help?

But ultimately, have a read of this thread:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/4k-streaming-on-xd9305-via-nas-lags-impossible/td-p/23188...

Cheers