Join now - be part of our community!

KD55X9005CBU 5.1 Output

EssendonBomber
Explorer

KD55X9005CBU 5.1 Output

Hi,

I recently purchased a KD55X9005CBU and have hooked it up to my Yamaha home cinema system but am unable to get 5.1 surround sound when playing BD movies through my PS3. I have both Sky and a PS3 connected to the television by HDMI's and have connected the TV to the cinema system using the digital optical output from the television. I get full 5.1 when watching Sky Movies etc, but when I switch to the PS3 I can only get standard 2 channel audio.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Surely the principle of carrying audio through HDMI to then output from a single source to a cinema system should be the same for both a Sky box and a PS3?

Please help!

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Are you not able to connect the Yamaha AV receiver to the TV via HDMI-ARC, instead of optical?

If not, try setting the PS3 audio options to bitstream and deselect all other audio options on the PS3 (i.e DD2.0 etc) only leaving 5.1 

Also, in the tv sound options, try auto 2.

Cheers

Ps: im assuming this means something.

logo.png

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@EssendonBomber wrote:

Hi,

I recently purchased a KD55X9005CBU and have hooked it up to my Yamaha home cinema system but am unable to get 5.1 surround sound when playing BD movies through my PS3. I have both Sky and a PS3 connected to the television by HDMI's and have connected the TV to the cinema system using the digital optical output from the television. I get full 5.1 when watching Sky Movies etc, but when I switch to the PS3 I can only get standard 2 channel audio.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Surely the principle of carrying audio through HDMI to then output from a single source to a cinema system should be the same for both a Sky box and a PS3?

Please help!

Excellent article here.

Make sure your PS3 is presenting the very best audio it can to the Sony TV, by working through the above while ensuring you are sending a format that the TV can handle, by reference to the rather sketchy handbook.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi there

Are you not able to connect the Yamaha AV receiver to the TV via HDMI-ARC, instead of optical?

If not, try setting the PS3 audio options to bitstream and deselect all other audio options on the PS3 (i.e DD2.0 etc) only leaving 5.1 

Also, in the tv sound options, try auto 2.

Cheers

Ps: im assuming this means something.

logo.png

Or why stop there? Perhaps you can go the whole hog, depending on what features the Yamaha AV amp offers, and connect the Sky box and the PS3 to HDMI inputs on the AV amp, which will then decode the sound directly, possibly exceeding the range of sound options on the TV, and then just pass the video up an HDMI output to the TV - hopefully with both ends ARC enabled so TV broadcast sound can still go back to the AV amp.

That's how my Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar is set up to operate, anyway.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
EssendonBomber
Explorer

Hi there,

Yes it does mean something, good spot :wink:

I hadn't thought about using ARC, but that would mean the cinema system would have to be on every time I wanted to watch the television, rather than just when I wanted to watch 5.1 content? And I'm not sure if my Sky box and PS3  supports ARC...

The bitstream solution didn't work, it 2.1 is hard selected and will not let you unselect it, and you can only select Auto 2 when the output is from the TV speakers instead of the audio system. 

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

The PS3 is not arc compatable so use the optical or coaxial connections to the amp for 5.1.

The TV automatically selects the correct audio quality to the amp with ARC first and optical next when connected with a version 1.4 or 2.0 hdmi cable then when the Sky box and PS3 audio is not needed it will revert to the TV speakers subject to HDMI control set to on and audio set to auto 1.