Join now - be part of our community!

Kdl50x81j

profile.country.GB.title
jumpedfromtoshiba1
Explorer

Kdl50x81j

Hi all, probably stupid question but is it possible to install a Freeview Play app on my Kdl 50x81j TV. Ido use the Youview & Freesat tuner but was just wondering if I could install Freeview Play.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@jumpedfromtoshiba1 

Firstly, no ‘l’ - your TV is a KD-50X81J. Google gives a raft more hits on the correct model number.

Secondly, the only Sony Freeview Play TV is the KD-32W800. Some way from being up there with the spec of your existing TV.

And thirdly, as you surmise, a TV either has Freeview Play or it doesn’t; it’s not something you can load on it later 😢

However, what is it you want Freeview Play for? Most, or possibly all, of the apps it brings are ones you can download to your TV anyway.

But I note you only mention Freesat - so you have satellite, yes, as well as the terrestrial aerial for YouView?

So there is one more option for you, on this 2021 set, which is to exit Live & Catchup TV where YouView lives, and use the plain ordinary Freeview EPG these Sony TVs have.

That will be as near as you can get this TV to Freeview Play.

But as above, if this doesn’t quite suit, please tell us what it is about Freeview Play that you are looking for, and we will see if we can’t get you closer.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
jumpedfromtoshiba1
Explorer

Hi royabrown2, thanks for your reply, I was only curious about Freeview Play on this TV. I realise about the catch-up apps and I use them quite often, I do also use the Freesat tuner from time to time especially for the HD channels that are not on Freeview or Youview. This is the first Sony TV I have owned and must say I am really impressed, once again thank you for your info.