Join now - be part of our community!

LG SH4 SOUNDBAR

profile.country.GB.title
Gally36
Explorer

LG SH4 SOUNDBAR

SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS, WHEN I CONNECT THE SOUNDBAR TO MY 49XD8088 VIA OPTICAL CABLE THE SOUNDBAR TURNS ON AUTOMATICALLY, BUT, WHEN CONNECTED VIA HDMI ARC THE SOUNDBAR DOES NOT TURN ON AND I HAVE ACTIVATE IT VIA THE MENU, EVEN THEN THERE IS NO SOUND.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

First things first, completely remove the Optical cable and only have it connected via HDMI to the HDMI-ARC Port on the TV.

On the TV

Ensure that "Bravia Sync" is turned ON by going to the "External Inputs" section in the TV Settings.  Whilst there, ensure the following:

• Auto Devices off = ON
  • Auto TV on = ON

Go into the "BRAVIA Sync Device list" and click on the ENABLE button.

Go to the Sound Settings and set the speakers to "Audio System"

On the Soundbar:

#Note : Soundbar manual can be found HERE

Ensure that "Auto Power" is set to ON - consult installation manual for instructions.  Also have a read of page 15 and 16.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Gally36
Explorer

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.
profile.country.GB.title
Gally36
Explorer

AFTER FOLLOWING YOUR INSTRUCTIONS I AM STILL FINDING THE BAR WONT TURN ON WHEN THE TV IS TURNED ON.  THANKS

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you confirm that you are getting sound from the soundbar now?  Also, according to page 9 of the manual, if ARC is selected on the Soundbar, the BT and USB lights should be on.

LG Soundbar.jpg

If you are getting sound and the only issue is that the soundbar needs to be turned on manually for it to work. then this could be the incompatibility between HDMI-CEC devices.  HDMI-CEC is a generic term that different manufacturers call it different - for Sony it is Bravia Sync.  For LG it is SimpLink.  Unfortunately HDMI-CEC functions are based 'loosely' on a set of standards.  This means that each manufacturer can implement it slightly differently.  This therefore can cause issues of compatiblity of some functions between different manufacturers when the end customer mixes different branded devices.  On page 16 of the Soundbar's manual, LG give this little disclaimer:

LG Soundbar02.jpg

Also, having a read on the Auto Power ON/OFF feature of the LG Soundbar (Page 24 of the manual), it continually states that LG TV - I am unsure on whether this feature is ONLY for an LG TV or just mentions LG for marketing purposes etc.

LG Soundbar03.jpg

Anyhow, reading further, the Auto Power On/Off it seems that you must disable SimpLink - Which therefore leads me to believe that this is not a HDMI-CEC function, and is specific to LG TVs.

LG Soundbar04.jpg

So basically as a conclusion - if you are getting audio from the soundbar and the only thing is that you have to manually switch it on, then to be honest that may just be the case. 

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Gally36
Explorer

THANK YOU ON E AGAIN FOR YOUR KIND ADVICE.