Join now - be part of our community!

No sound at all on digital optical out on my KD-55X8505C

SOLVED
profile.country.SE.title
brandnewidol
Explorer

No sound at all on digital optical out on my KD-55X8505C

Hi, I noticed today that there is no more sound coming from the Digital Optical out on my KD-55X8505C.

I had sound for the past year, it only happened now for the first time, so I wonder if the last firmware update v3395 on 2016-04-13 actually broke the digital output.

I hadn't touched any cables or devices before I noticed it not working. I tried another optical cable too, no result.

There is no nound on digital out on any of the sources (TV, Youtube, media from USB).

Earlier I had sound both on the TV speakers and Digital out on the same time, no problem!

Now even if I choose in Settings -> Sound: Audio system instead of TV speakers there is no sound coming on digital out.

Any suggestions how to fix it? I really want sound on Digital Out e.g. when playing Youtube.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Try turning off all devices from the power switch on the wall.  Leave off for 2 mins and then try again.

If it was the firmware, more would have complained by now :slight_smile:

Cheers

View solution in original post

profile.country.SE.title
brandnewidol
Explorer

It’s me again… I tried disconnecting completely the devices from power for many minutes but that didn’t help.

But I've fixed it later, it turned out it was the optical cable that was faulty (or became incompatible?) somehow, even though I didn’t touch that cable or any device or connection in months. Two of my older cables at home - that worked earlier - didn’t work (anymore?), I bought a new one, of another manufacturer, and it works again, I get sound via digital optical out, on all TV input sources!

Thanks again Quinnicus for your reply, who knows, maybe it was it that pointed me in the right direction 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Try turning off all devices from the power switch on the wall.  Leave off for 2 mins and then try again.

If it was the firmware, more would have complained by now :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.SE.title
brandnewidol
Explorer

Thank you for the reply!

I did that, but I only left it off for a few seconds. I will try again tonight, with leaving it off for 2 minutes.

You are also right about the firmware 🙂 I did search earlier about this but didn't find anything else.

Forgot to mention, I also did a factory reset.

I will also try to buy another (a 3rd) NEW optical cable to try, and find another devices to connect DO and test, before I will contact the repairs.

The strange part is that I didn't physically touch anything for months when it stopped working. Before, I had sound on both speakers and digital out simultaneously, on all input sources.

One more thing: I tried changing Settings -> Sound -> Speakers from "TV speakers" to "Audio system", still no sound on optical. When set to "TV speakers" then the "Digital Ouput" option is set to PCM and it is greyed out, I cannot enter that setting. Does "greyed out" mean that it doesn't output any sound on DO, or that it is just forced to PCM and cannot change it?

profile.country.SE.title
brandnewidol
Explorer

It’s me again… I tried disconnecting completely the devices from power for many minutes but that didn’t help.

But I've fixed it later, it turned out it was the optical cable that was faulty (or became incompatible?) somehow, even though I didn’t touch that cable or any device or connection in months. Two of my older cables at home - that worked earlier - didn’t work (anymore?), I bought a new one, of another manufacturer, and it works again, I get sound via digital optical out, on all TV input sources!

Thanks again Quinnicus for your reply, who knows, maybe it was it that pointed me in the right direction 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

Thanks for posting back.  Glad you got it fixed !

Cheers