Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 55X8505C needs a daily reboot

profile.country.NO.title
kayrune

Sony 55X8505C needs a daily reboot

So I got my TV a couple of weeks ago, worked fine for the first couple of days then the problems startet. Almost daily I must reboot because system become unresponsive and slow with stuttering sound and picture. Sometimes I don't have to reboot because the TV just slows down to the point where it reboots on it's own. I've installed the latest firmware 2.637 off Sony website and also done a total system wipe and start over but it does not help. I only got a couple of apps installed. But the slowdown is system wide, both in apps and live-tv. I use both DVB-C and DVB-S with a CAM.

Overall I don't see people complain about this issue except for some people using a special app for tv in the UK  ? But I don't live in UK and do not have that app.

So I'm wondering if it's a faulty unit or if AndroidTV really is this crappy. It's a big hassle taking the TV back and I really like the capability of the TV off a fresh reboot, if it only stayed like that.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sony is aware of some stability issues on the Android TV platform across the EU countries.  Sony is working on a firmware update to address this - but as of yet no date has been set.  

Thank you.

profile.country.NO.title
kayrune

Thank you for your reply, the reason I ask if this is a faulty unit and not a common issue is that this issue is not listed in the bugs and issues thread. https://community.sony.no/t5/televisions/2015-android-tv-bugs-and-issues/td-p/2040020

Issue 16 seems to be the same however I don't have or use YouView. Also people gives the impression that it takes several days for the system to become slow and none responding when using YouView. For me it's a matter of staying idle for close to 24 hours and system is in a state where it cannot play video or live-tv without stuttering, also the menu will stutter and have sound corruption.

After a reboot all is good.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fully understand.

Those issues that are logged are only some of the issues that the UK forums are experiencing - this list is no where near exhaustive.  From my understanding in other countries, the reboot issue is caused by something else - but to be honest, ive not paid too much attention to other countries.

So, i guess there are a couple of options for you

1. If you really are not happy, go back to your retailer and get the tv changed for another one.  It may help, it may not.
  2. Wait until Sony release the next firmware update and take it from their.
  3. Contact Sony Support and see what they suggest.
profile.country.NO.title
kayrune

I may have found where my main issue is comming from. I notice one time after remote playing from my phone via DLNA the TV became extremely slow and unresponsive even after playback was ended. However as soon as the "connection" to the phone was broken the TV became responsive again.

I found a setting in network -> remote play, don't know specific name because I don't have english language. I turned it off and initial testing seems to have helped a lot. After 3 days my TV was still fully responsive. Previously it would start to have stuttering animation and sound after less than 24 hours idle.

So it seems to me something related to DLNA or remote media streaming (chromecast/google cast?) seems to be causing system instability. But as I said, to early to conclude but seems promising.

profile.country.NO.title
kayrune

I don't know if this should be marked as solved, but at least it's a workaround. After turning off this feature I no longer need a daily reboot.

tiholln
Explorer

The 55XD8505 too reboots too often after the update to Android 6.0. Here it seems to be caused by the TV part where zapping too fast between two lists, frequently locks the unit so that it reboots by itself.

Since I've got a Motorola settopbox (that up to a year ago had the same problem) this is used as a workaround here. And actually a preferred one since this changes channel much faster than the TV (and this was the same with Android 5.1)

The TV is running cabled and Netflix, Spotify and Amazon Video is very often used.

Other than mentioned I am very satisfied with this TV set

Tags (2)