Join now - be part of our community!

Sony af8 support for hdmi 2.1? Ps5 use

profile.country.GB.title
adjukes12
New

Sony af8 support for hdmi 2.1? Ps5 use

Hi

So I have a shiny new ps5 and from what I can gleam the hdmi ports on the Sony af8 do not support hdmi 2.1?

could you clarify please?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@adjukes12 

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1606135005

So you have a TV that came out a few months after the 2.1 spec was released, 2.1 needs new hardware, and so it missed the cut?

Stuff happens; I noticed a Merc like mine in the supermarket car park yesterday, except it wasn’t like mine, the boot lid was different and other stuff I thought was nicer, because it was a later model.

But if I want that, I’ll have to PX mine against the latest model, as it’s not dealer-upgradable; and you will too, with your TV, if you can actually find something that makes an observable difference when using your PS5.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
adjukes12
New

Well it was advertised on various technical specs that 2.1 support would be given by firmware upgrade, that’s all. 

But appreciate the response, thanks. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@adjukes12 

There’s been some misinformation going around about this; for a firmware upgrade to be effective, the TV has to have the chipset with the required features on it already, for the firmware to ‘unlock’.

And my (possibly faulty) understanding is that your TV fundamentally doesn’t have the required chipset.

Unless anyone knows different?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

There is no Sony OLED spotting HDMI 2.1 in 2020 lineup, forget about a 2018 model