Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Greece won't replace the TV that arrived DOA

profile.country.GR.title
chrysidis
Explorer

Sony Greece won't replace the TV that arrived DOA

I am located in Athens, Greece. I ordered a brand new Sony TV from mediamarkt.gr which arrived DOA (dead on arrival). Media Markt and Sony Greece don’t reply to my emails/phone calls to replace the TV. I am desperate and this is why I’m reaching to you. I hope you can help me on my issue. Below are all the details:

I ordered a Sony KD-65XG8096.from mediamarkt.gr on the 27th of October. The TV was delivered on the 31st of October at 18:00. I opened the box a few hours later and after turning on the TV I realised the screen was not displaying anything (black screen). I called Media Markt right away at 20:09 but the store was closed at 20:00. I called them again on the next working day Monday 2nd of November at 10:03. They asked me to send an email to info@mediamarkt.gr and let them know of the details of the issue. Which I did right away and asked for a replacement. 

I had no reply from Media Markt, so I started calling them about my issue day by day that week (2nd to 7th of November) and everytime I called them the answer was the same: that I shall expect a phone call from them about the issue and that they will forward my issue to their system.

A week later, after I called them again on the 9th of November at 10:34, then I finally got a call from them at 11:12 (from number +30-2311807770) and told me to communicate with Sony Greece (number +30-2111988791) to ask for a technician to validate that the TV is Dead On Arrival. I then called Sony Greece and they told me to call Astra Service (+30-2106860010) so a technician can come and check the TV. 

The next day, Tuesday 10th of November the technician arrived at my place at 9:11. The technician opened the TV (which was very strange to me, as I asked for a replacement and not a repair) and validated that the TV is not working. 

On Friday 13th of November the technician called me at 14:29 and let me know that Sony will neither replace or repair the TV! I immediately called Media Markt at 14:38 and let them know about my issue not still being solved and the answer was again the same: that I shall expect a call from them.

On Saturday 14th of November I called again Media Markt (+30-2311807800) and the lady on the phone said that she can’t take my call at the time and that I shall give her my name and phone number so they call me whenever they can. Up to this day they haven’t got in contact with me.

On Sunday 15th of November I also tried contacting Sony GR tech support but the contact form on the website freezes when clicking "Submit/Next"! I tried both with Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browser. The URL I used is: https://services.sony.gr/supportmvc/el/Contact/Email?cat=electronics 

I am very disturbed as this is a Dead On Arrival issue and even though I asked for a replacement (since 2nd November with the email) 2 weeks have passed and still my issue hasn’t been solved. 

Please, I beg you: if you know anyone that could help me please forward this message.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi chrysidis,

I'm not sure if the same applies to Greece but usually your dealer should deal with this issue if the TV arrived DOA.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GR.title
chrysidis
Explorer

That is correct Peter! According to the regulations the dealer is responsible for replacing the TV. But the dealer told me to get in contact with Sony directly. This is suspicious for 2 reasons. Either they don't want to deal with the issue or  either the dealer wants to gain some time.

What is even more weird, is that when the technician from Sony came to check the TV, I asked him the same thing. And he told me if I have any issue I should contact Sony and not the dealer.

Don't they know the law? Why are the confusing me so much?

profile.country.GR.title
chrysidis
Explorer

Good news. 

After some emails back and forth with Sony and Media Markt, finally Sony accepted to replace the TV and Media Markt came and took the DOA TV and brought a new one.

Faith to Sony restored!