Join now - be part of our community!

Sony TV (KE-65XH9005) no sound from Soundbar on Bluray (ok on DVDs...)

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jonski

Sony TV (KE-65XH9005) no sound from Soundbar on Bluray (ok on DVDs...)

I have a panasonic Bluray/DVD player and a Yamaha Soundbar attached to my Sony KE-65XH9005.  Strange problems if I play a DVD the soundbar works fine, but, if I play a Bluray the introduction plays fine through the soundbar, but as soon at the actual film starts there is no sound unless I revert back to using the TV in-built speakers.  Can anyone  help please?

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
jonski

Actually, I've just re-read your post and I see that the HDMI can receive the sound from the TV so not puzzling at all. Sorry.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@jonski 

No worries. And what you have set up now will give you the best sound possible from the Panny, no matter which HDMI port on the TV you plug the cable from the soundbar HDMI Out into.

However, you do need to connect the HDMI Out on the soundbar specifically to the ARC HDMI In on the TV, so that when you watch a programme on the TV, the audio will play on the soundbar.

This won’t happen if you have the cable plugged into one of the three ‘ordinary’ HDMI ports.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
jonski

Yes, of course,  I was so focussed on the Bluray I forgot about the rest...

Many thanks once again for sharing your time and expertise! 😀 👍

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@jonski 

Wow, I just ranked up to Hero.

I'm sure this thread helped 😛

profile.country.GB.title
jonski

Congratulations. Well deserved. 😎

Just for completeness, I have been searching through the settings on the TV and there is a setting under Audio Output (which I unfortunately must have overlooked - it's off the bottom of the screen and you have to scroll down to see it) called Pass Through Mode this was set to Off rather then Auto.  I'm thinking this must be why the DTS Audio wasn't being passed on. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@jonski 

[Edited]

Maybe that would have been all it needed in the first place, if this had been an eARC to eARC setup 😛

But even if you plug the Panny BluRay player back into an HDMI input on the TV, play the disc that started all this, you might still not be able to hear it on the soundbar, because of the ARC limitations.

And even if you could/can, it likely wouldn’t ever be as good as having the Panny plugged directly into the soundbar, again because of the ARC limitations giving you plain DTS instead of DTS:X.

profile.country.GB.title
jonski

Yes Indeed, I'm going to keep it connected directly as you suggested. It sounds great, and it makes sense to leave the TV out it so I can get the best possible sound. All other sources are also working fine.