Join now - be part of our community!

Turn of Audio Description

SOLVED
Green-Lantern
Explorer

Turn of Audio Description

Hi. Just got a Sony Bravia KD-55XD8505B and for some reason audio description is enabled.  I've just spent a great deal of time googling this and reading the manual. Haven't been able to turn it off. The googling resultied in go to HOME/Setting/Digital Setup/etc. Would probably work except that I don't have a "Digital Setup" in my "Settings" menu. I have other items and checked them out but nothing that was related to audio description. Obviously I'd appreciated any wise assistance. Thanks. GL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

There are no other settings on the TV for audio description im afraid - if its ONLY 1 specific channel, then its a channel issue.  If its audio description is still on for ALL channels, after setting it to "Normal", then it might be something else.

Is audio description only on 1 channel or multiple channels?  Also, are you going through the TVs digital tuner or another external box?

What happens if you go to the "Subtitle Settings" - is it OFF?

Cheers

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Green-Lantern wrote:

Hi. Just got a Sony Bravia KD-55XD8505B and for some reason audio description is enabled.  I've just spent a great deal of time googling this and reading the manual. Haven't been able to turn it off. The googling resultied in go to HOME/Setting/Digital Setup/etc. Would probably work except that I don't have a "Digital Setup" in my "Settings" menu. I have other items and checked them out but nothing that was related to audio description. Obviously I'd appreciated any wise assistance. Thanks. GL

Try HOME — [Settings] — [System Preferences] — [Accessibility]

Audio Description may be being regarded as an Accessibility option.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Green-Lantern
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion. I did that before posting. It was unfortunately not an option. GL

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The instructions you probably saw was for a non-Android based TV. 

Try this:

Home > Settings > Channel Setup > Digital Setup > Audio Set-up  and set Audio Type (Audio Description) to "Normal"

Cheers

PS: Just for your reference, your TV model does not have a 'B' at the end of it :slight_smile:

Green-Lantern
Explorer

Well, this IS interesting. I found the setting you indicated. But it was already set to «normal». Go figure. I have no idea how this got turned on. I am guessing that the channel we were trying to view broadcasts on two channels. One contains the «description» and the other the normal audio. I tried fiddling with the stereo channel, turned each one off but that made no difference either. Thank you anyway for your help. Is it time to get some razor blades and slash my wrists? Yes, just kidding.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Which Channel?  And can I assume that you are in the UK?

Cheers

Green-Lantern
Explorer

No, sorry. Not in the UK but I’m an English speaker and I thought the model I have would be more likely to be available in the UK than in the US or Australia. I bought the set in Switzerland which is where I’m located. So you think it’s channel specific then? If yes, I guess I’d better play around a bit more with the settings for that channel and see if I can figure it out. Do you have any idea how to «get into an individual channel» and turn this on or off? GL
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

There are no other settings on the TV for audio description im afraid - if its ONLY 1 specific channel, then its a channel issue.  If its audio description is still on for ALL channels, after setting it to "Normal", then it might be something else.

Is audio description only on 1 channel or multiple channels?  Also, are you going through the TVs digital tuner or another external box?

What happens if you go to the "Subtitle Settings" - is it OFF?

Cheers

Green-Lantern
Explorer

Okay, I went back to that channel and noticed that there are two audio channels. The language for the second channel was set to English. As it was a German language broadcast they were probabaly using the second channel for the audio description. I reset it to German. Possibly that will handle the matter. Time will tell. Thank you for all the help! GL

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Green-Lantern wrote:

Is it time to get some razor blades and slash my wrists? Yes, just kidding.

Of course not. The time for that was after you had bought the set, but before you got it home and switched it on, so you could have at least died happy and ignorant, in the mistaken belief you had made a good purchase 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking