Join now - be part of our community!

TV Apps on my Sony KD-49XF9005

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
brsteve20

TV Apps on my Sony KD-49XF9005

Can someone please explain why I have to go through YouView for ITV and Channel 4 apps? I do not have an aerial attached as I used to have Virgin Media but have sent all the equipment back and now only interested in catch-up TV, so I cannot use YouView to tune in as I have seen elsewhere on here. Why can't they be downloaded from Play Store? Tried looking there and they are not available! This is ridiculous!! 😞

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Sony control what you can get on play store. Get the Itv hub and 4more apps and upload to TV by USB. 

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@brsteve20 

I am reminded yet again why I love the One Connect box on my Samsung TV; it will be a hard choice next year between another of them and an LG OLED.

2020 Sony sets finally let you have the itv Hub and All4 without having to have YouView, but no-one will tell me if you still have to tune the sets with a terrestrial aerial to get them.

Your best bet then, is to get behind the TV one last time, and install a Roku Stick; this will augment its smarts not just with those two players and no need for an aerial, but with NowTV, if it is not yet on the set itself, Amazon Video, and all manner of other apps.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Steve,

You should be able to update YouView via Google PlayStore.

However, you need to be signed-in with your Google account to do so.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
brsteve20

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply but that is not the issue I am having. I cannot
understand why they have the ITV and Channel 4 apps but when you click on
them, it takes you into YouView and in order to use this app you need to
have cable or an aerial, and I have neither! It doesn't make sense and I am
not happy about it!

Thank you,

Bruce
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@brsteve20 

Hoshsadiq is your friend....

profile.country.GB.title
brsteve20

Sorry, please explain. Thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

xxx

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@brsteve20 

We have to be elliptical here:- 

https://github.com/hoshsadiq/bravia-youview-player-launchers

Nuff said?

Though you do still need to have tuned in the channels, maybe with a room aerial. But you don’t have to leave it connected after that initial tuning.

profile.country.GB.title
brsteve20

I really appreciate your help and thank you so much for the link. However, I do not have an aerial and my TV is fixed to the wall so I would need to do a lot of faffing about to try this! It would be much simpler if Sony gave us access to the apps! Channel 5 and BBC are accessible, so why not the others? It's just ridiculous! But thanks again for your help. Cheers 🙂

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Sony control what you can get on play store. Get the Itv hub and 4more apps and upload to TV by USB. 

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Anyone with a 2015 TV get the now tv app, I see it is on the 2018 model but not on earlier models which Sony have not updated as yet.