Join now - be part of our community!

TV Won't Turn On Immediately (Android 6.0.1)

martiniturbide
Explorer

TV Won't Turn On Immediately (Android 6.0.1)

I'm expericing an issue with the TV that does not allow you to turn it on immediately after some extensive period that is off.

• TV: KDL-50W809C
  • Android Version: 6.0.1  - SVPDTV15_BR-user 6.0.1 MMB29V.S3 3.707 release-keys.

The issue appeared after the 6.0.1 update on the TV on 2016, December 13.

When you turn off  the TV (normal power off, Android is still on) and leave it turned off, after some time, when I came back and power it on with the remote control, it will not respond.

After waiting for two minutes it will turn on with the remote and two things can happen. 1) It turn on the TV normally, 2) It will restart all the TV with the Android boot logo.

I had tried a "factory reset" it will fix the problem for some days, but it will eventually came back. I opened a ticket with Sony support, but they just tell me to do a factory reset again and call them if it starts having issues.

My brother has his own KDL-50W809C and it is experiencing the same issue.

On the US there are people experiencing this issue and reporting it on this forum thread. Is anybody else with similiar issues? Everybody also complains the issue appeared with Android 6.0.1 december update.

Any tips or recommendation are welcome.

Regards

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi there,

As I can understand your region is Brazil that's why you updated to Marshmallow.

According on what you mention "I had tried a factory reset" it will fix the problem for some days, but it will eventually came back", what I can suggest is to perform again a Factory Reset but:

a. DO NOT connect on any Google Account

b. Disable Playstore Automatic Updates

c. DO NOT connect Wired or Wireless on Internet services

This will prevent all Apps that may affect your System.

Try this for a few days and if issue does not appear again try connecting to Internet, your Google Account and start updating manually every app that appears in PlayStore as "to Update" but each one with a spacing of a few days so that you will able to find out which one is the cause......

martiniturbide
Explorer

Hi.

Thanks for the reply, I will check on the next week to try what you suggest me, even that I will be actually not using the SmartTV functions with that, I think it is a good idea to do some "trial and error" and see if the error remains on Sony image or if it is a bug of a Google Play installed update/app.

I just hope this get fixed before Android 6.0.1 is rolled out in your country.

Regards

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Thanks

Keep us informed about the results. This may help some of us.

I hope we get Marshmallow or whatever, soon :smileyangry:.

I am also curious about the versions of embedded apps. Will they be the latest and tested with new O.S. or they will be the ones of Summer 2015? They usually do this mistake :angry: and users are facing issues after Google Play Store starts automatic Updates.

martiniturbide
Explorer

Hi

It seems that Sony recognized the issue and the engineers are working on it according to this forum post on the US.  Now I only hope that is get addressed fast enought before people start returning their TVs.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for posting back and sharing this information.  The US and EU are at different levels in the firmware development cycle - fingers crossed that this is fixed when we get our Marshmallow update ! !!

Cheers

adyjay33

I have not been on here for a while due to the hostile nature towards other when you complain about the problems these TV's have.

I notice the long thread is still not here even though I was informed it was going to be put back on, someone has put a link to it but it seems to have dissapeared from the main thread section, is Sony trying to hide this I wonder?

I still have my awful TV though and have to say it is still troublesome and has even got more worse after the latest update, especially the switching on business.

Also it now has a nice message nearly everyweek to say it cant show live TV, but it is showing in the in the background so I have no idea what this TV is now up to and that issue came after the last update too.

I have read the US posts on how bad the TV's are and think that I will not try and update to Marshmellow if and when it comes out but will wait till everyone else has and will then evaluate the situation.

I am now thnking of dumping it and replacing it with another make and this TV will only be used in my bedroom

as a basic monitor.

Also why cant we back up our setting so we can reload apps and pictures etc... settings to USB before we factory reset as you lose everything when that is done?  Please dont come back and say "Write it down" we are living in the 21st century and this is not impossible to do. 

With Sony CS just saying "Factory Reset" for every problem this is rediculous!

Sony should be ashamed.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.SE.title
joeldeluxe

I did just turn my remote in the wrong direction pointing away from the TV and the TV (50W800C) did start right away. This works when it's not responding from the power button :yahoo:

martiniturbide
Explorer

Hi Joeldeluxe.

Hi in my case (and some other users), the issue is that the TV will turn on after a while, possible after an Android reboot. So, it may not be that you are pointing the remote to other direction that is working, but that you are waiting two or four minutes after the first try to turn on the monitor.

But this only applies to Android 6.0.1 update, maybe you are experiencing a different issue.

There is still no update on the Sony US thread about this issue, only that the Engineers are looking at it.

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
HUSH2H

The problem is that the TV tries to save energy and goes into DEEP SLEEP

Here is the solution: on your remote press 'HOME' then go to 'Settings' - 'Power' - 'Eco' and set all options to off