Join now - be part of our community!

Youview Apps online content not working

profile.country.IE.title
oreillyma
Explorer

Youview Apps online content not working

Hi there, I have a newly installed KD-55XG9505 and can't get any of the online content apps to work. Go into the menu fine but when I navigate to apps and select one ( 4, ITV, Britbox) I cannot go into them. I do not have any satellite connections in place as this will be internet-connected only. All other apps outside of Youview work fine like Netflix, Prime and youtube. 

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.IE.title
oreillyma
Explorer

Also, the TV shows and movies tabs do fill with up to date content but I cannot select any of them either.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@oreillyma 

The apps provided by YouView, such as you list there, require that the terrestrial Freeview channels be tuned in.

These TVs, unaugmented, are not suitable for, and should not be sold without due warning to, those who intend to use only internet and/or satellite. Nor are they suitable, unaugmented, even for those who do tune in Freeview, if they do not wish to use the YouView UI.

Your three choices are:-

Tune your terrestrial channels in anyway. You may be able to use an indoor aerial; you only need to get channels 1, 3, 4 and 5, and once tuned, you no longer need to keep the aerial connected. (Though you will need to reuse it after each Factory Reset that these sets require, and you will need to stay on the YouView UI);

Shrug your shoulders and augment the TV with an Amazon FireStick (£30-50) which does not have any of these silly restrictions;

Return the TV as unsuitable for your purposes, and obtain one from a manufacturer who does not impose these silly restrictions on these apps.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…