Join now - be part of our community!

Touchscreen issues

LouisC
Visitor

Touchscreen issues

Hello everyone, 

I'm having trouble with the touchscreen of my XZ2 Compact. 

Several times a day, it's suddenly not reacting anymore. This happens right in the middle of doing something, like typing or scrolling. It just stops reacting to my inputs. I solve the problem by turning the screen off with the power button, and back on. But even then, I mostly need to do it several times, before the screen answers so my inputs again. Afterwards the screens works fine for some seconds, then the problem reappears. 

Strangely, later in the day, it works perfectly fine for some hours, before the problem comes back again for some minutes.

I also have a quite opposite phenomenon sometimes (maybe once every 2 days), where the screen seems to be oversensitive. I notice it when typing something. I press on a letter, and suddenly it's writing 5 at once (resulting in strange results by the auto correct function). It's extremely difficult to write with that. After reopening the keyboard and/or turning the screen off and on, it's all normal again. 

The problems increased greatly the last days, which is really annoying. Therefore I decided to ask for help, maybe there is a simple solution.

I'm using a screen protector. It's applied without any bubbles. But I also observed my first problem a few weeks ago, when I had no protector on the screen. So I don't think, that's the cause.

I also tried the support app. When I perform the touchscreen test, of course the result is okay, as the screen has to be working in order to start the test. So that's no help unfortunately. 

I hope someone is able to help me, otherwise my last option will be sending my device in to have it checked.

Louis 

14 REPLIES 14
Jonas
Master

Hi @LouisC, sorry to hear about this. Slightly_frowning_Face

I just want to double check one thing regarding your very detailed post. You wrote that it started a couple of weeks ago and that you did not have a screen protector on, but then you wrote "So I don't think, that's the cause". Based on this text, you meant that you had the screen protector on and it worked fine before right? Slightly_smiling_Face

It doesn't sound like the glove mode is activated, but it's worth having a look in Settings > Display > Advanced > Glove mode. If this is turned on, turn it off.

I remember that one of my colleagues experienced something very similar when he had an SD card in his device, so if you have one try removing it over the weekend (unless you need to have it mounted) and see if that helps. It's a long shot but every little thing is worth testing before handing it in.

Let me know if that helps!

LouisC
Visitor

Hi Jonas,

Thank you for your quick answer.

My phone is about 6 months old, I'm using a screen protector since the beginning. The problem started a few weeks ago, so yes, there was the protector already on the screen, when it was still working perfectly fine.

Due to a few bubbles and dust coming under the edges of the protector, I removed it some time ago and applied a new one. In the few minutes of not having a protector on the screen, the problem appeared, too. That's why I think, that the protector is not the cause. 

The glove mode is deactivated. 

I just removed my SD Card an will see if that helps. Thanks for the tip.

Louis 

Jonas
Master

Hi @LouisC, you're very welcome and thank you so much for the very detailed description! Slightly_smiling_Face

Let me know how it works with the SD card not inserted and we'll take it from there.

LouisC
Visitor

So I removed the SD Card for some days, but unfortunately the screen issues stayed...

Do you have any last idea? Maybe a factory reset might help?

Jonas
Master

Hi again and sorry to hear that there was no change. Slightly_frowning_Face

The next step is to reset the device and I would recommend that you use a computer for this, if you have one available since that reset is a bit different from a normal reset as it will also reinstall the software in the device.

You can find instructions for this on the link below and there will be a second link for how to backup your data.

Software repair using Xperia Companion

Creating a backup using Xperia Companion

If you still experience the same behaviour with the touch screen after performing the software repair, it's time to have the device inspected by a trained technician and your Local support team will assist you further with this and answer any questions you may have regarding service routines, warranty and consumer laws.

Feel free to keep me posted! Slightly_smiling_Face

LouisC
Visitor

Sorry for my late answer, I was busy the last days.

Today I performed the Software repair with the companion and paid attention to reinstall as few apps as possible afterwards (I read somewhere, that issues could also come from recently installed apps).

Unfortunately, shortly after the reset, I noticed the problem again. It only happened once so far, so I will wait a few more days. But I'm not very optimistic...

My next step will be contacting my local support, to have the device checked.

I want to thank you Jonas for your help, even though we couldn't identify the cause for the problem. I appreciate your effort!

Louis

MJ242
Visitor

I'm having the same issues: screen becomes unresponsive, and other times, over-sensitive. Turned on click tracking, and I can see that when I'm touchign the middle of the screen it records touches near the top, and opens my notification menu. Tried toggling Glove Mode, occurs when on or off. Simply pressing power on the side to turn off the screen then unlocking it again will temporarily solve the issue.

I've had this phone (Xperia Compact XZ2) for just over a year now and I haven't had any of these issues until maybe the last month or so. No screen protector, even took it out of the case to ensure nothing was contacting the very clean screen. I strongly, strongly suspect this behavior is caused by a recent software update. I always run Xperia software updates right away. I've also tried uninstalling every non-default app on my phone just in case one of them was the cause. Issues still occur.

Sony Support, PLEASE INVESTIGATE YOUR RECENT SOFTWARE UPDATES FOR THE CAUSE OF THIS ISSUE and stop pretending it's a user-caused problem.

Edit: same issue in this other thread: /t5/Xperia-XZ2-Compact/touchscreen-ghosting-swipes/td-p/1345195

Jonas
Master

Hi again @LouisC, thank you for the update!

That sounds good and sorry to hear that it seems to be related to the hardware and not the software, but in these cases it's hard to solve this, but at least you have tried everything that you could do on your own!

Feel free to keep me posted on how the device works when you get it back!

@MJ242, sorry to hear that you experience the same type of behaviour. Slightly_frowning_Face

The thread you posted is from around 13 months ago and if this was something that was still occurring for users, there would most likely be more posted about it. I have never said it was a user error, I only provided the troubleshooting steps for how to hopefully solve this to @LouisC, but in the end they didn't help.

If you haven't tried all of the troubleshooting I suggested to this user, please do and let me know how it went for you.

Thank you!

S0IVY
Visitor

I dropped my phone. No visual damage. But the exact same symptoms.

Touchscreen acting on its own. Touchscreen not reacting at all. After I lock and unlock the device it works perfect for 20s. Then it the touchscreen stopps reacting.