Join now - be part of our community!

i/p conversion preference fixed to "Quality"

i/p conversion preference fixed to "Quality"

I have a kdl-46ex723, and when I click on the greyed-out "i/p conversion preference" it says that I cannot change it in the current scene select mode. I have tried selecting all available scene selection modes, but the i/p conversion preference is fixed. Do I need to give you more info?

Thx in advance :slight_smile:

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

From my understanding, this option is defaulted to 'quality' when the tv detects an interlaced video signal (i.e. 480i/1080i).

It can be set to 'speed' in game or graphics mode.

Cheers

So you're saying that I cannot get twice the framerate on the TV from broadcasts? Besause I have seen, for example, BBC live on iPlayer, and if the internet's good enough, the stream is HD 50fps, and I can tell the difference between 50fps and 25fps at full shutter angle...

Do I have to play video games to experience 50fps on the TV?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Is this what you are referring to:

https://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/84351/kw/Motionflow

If so, experiment with the TVs motionflow settings.

Cheers

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

In the UK television programmes are delivered to the broadcasters by production companies to a mandated standard...

1920 x 1080 pixels in an aspect ratio of 16:9
25 frames per second (50 fields) interlaced - now known as 1080i/25.
colour sub-sampled at a ratio of 4:2:2

The format is fully specified in ITU-R BT.709-5 Part 2.  - If we don't deliver programmes to that standard none of the BBC, Sky, ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5 will broadcast them!

In other words, programmes just aren't even made at 50fps...   You're probably seeing the difference between programmes originated as interlace and those originated with the cameras in progressive mode. - But either way; they're being played back at 25 frames per second...  So no; you can't get twice the framerate on the TV from broadcasts any more than you can get a pint of beer from a 1/2 pint glass...

This statement from Sony's article...

"Normal TV signals comprise 50/60 successive frames every second (50Hz/60Hz)."

Is complete and utter tripe! - Really! Shocking rubbish!  - It just goes to show the breathtaking incompetence of the people Sony are hiring these days...  High Frame Rate (HFR) production exists... But it is far from being in any way 'normal', there is no regular broadcast service that outputs this. And is more likely to be 48FPS for release in cinemas!