Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55X8508​ : My first blank(full white) screen issue after mains power loss

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

KD-55X8508​ : My first blank(full white) screen issue after mains power loss

Television was in Stby mode(OFF doesn't exist).

There was an Electric Power Company(PPC) sudden 220V loss in my area.

When electricity power was available again after almost 15 minutes, my KD-55X8508​ was found in Stby position but LED on TV was active(steady bright).

I tried to Power On from the remote control but what appeared was a full white(blank) screen. Tried to turn OFF but it didn't respond and remained blank

Tried to restart by continuously pressing power button on remote but it didn't respond and remained blank.

Finally I removed the Mains Power cable, waited for 15 seconds, re-pluged power cable and then TV behaved the same way it does when restarting and everything was OK again....

I keep wondering what else my eyes shall see.............

The problem is not so big for me but for wife and kids.

After 40 days of only problems I start thinking of a RETURN to shop that I bought from and buy something else. This is the easiest way to solve problems and not posting and re-posting and mailing and re-mailing Sony. 

I don't know what to say. Newest firmware solves and creates new problems, solves and creates new problems. 1400 euros lost.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

With the amount of issues you've reported, i would go back to the retailer you purchased it from and get it exchanged for another one.  In regards to other issues, i believe Sony has been in contact with you?

Cheers

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

Surely - as you have stated you are an electronics engineer - you understand the implications of re-booting a piece of computer equipment off a power line that is itself recovering from a major error?  As the line comes back 'up' the extent to which that recovery is 'controlled' is determined by whatever other loads are also recovering on the same phase...  And that is not even an issue constrained to your own house...   There will be all sorts of weird spikes and voltages on the line for anything up to two or three minutes...

There is a very good reason why the electricity board ask you to turn appliances OFF during a power cut.

As critical as I am of these sets - it's really not unreasonable for such a unit to boot to a 'confused' state after an area power cut.  I'm surprised that when your set started up strangely you didn't just pull the plug and give it 10 minutes for the power to settle...  Stock faults on these sets are numerous...  But I don't actually think this is one of them.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

All above that you mentioned are completely right. This can happen to all appliances inside the house, some of them can be completely destroyed like refrigerators. There are solutions for those kind of problems that usualy are very expensive to add in your house electric circuit. There are also protective circuit solutions for all manufacturers of expensive electrical appliances but they many times do not respond as they should be expected because of "bad" adopted project design unable to cover all kind of recovery states of power lines.

Now about Operating Systems. Depends firstly on primary(boot) firmware options and secondly to main OS(safe and recovery mode). In my case there was no indication other than blank screen and no prompt for "actions"..

All above could happen at a moment you are not at home, bome back and find that situation or no one else in the house knows how to react in such cases.

I will not return the TV. I am in contact with Sony they are helpful and polite, the suggested patience and a technician for checking the heat problem which I believe I can solve myself the way I know better and a simple addendum at the back cover without affecting warranties or aesthetics(design). Anyway who says that

LG's WebOS or Samsungs Tizen have not problems?

We post in here especially for getting help from other experienced users and we should not make bad suggestions. Sometimes I do it myshelf but I know I am wrong, shoulf be more patient and must not criticize from the very first moment(one or two months of ownership)

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

Personally, I see no reason why I should pay to complete Sony's product testing...

My set had multiple problems; many of which, as you suggest, would leave the untrained (in electronics) members of the family struggling to cope.  - Additionally, I see no reason why after a day's work  (much of which might involve struggling with temperamental A/V equipment) I should spend the evenings, when I should be relaxing, doing the same thing I do at work!  - And I certainly don't see any reason why I should be put to extra expense and trouble 'curing' cooling problems!

All makes, as you suggest, have their 'foibles'.  - However I know of no other credible make that randomly freezes, reboots, has serious lip-synch problems, randomly deletes satellite channels and adds-back ones that have been deleted - and occasionally switches itself on in the middle of the night!  

Sony are, I agree, polite and helpful...  And helpfully they replaced my set with a non-Android unit. - That someone else may choose another path is their prerogative.  - What may be a 'bad' suggestion to  one person might well be exactly the required solution for many others.