Join now - be part of our community!

New YouView Update - Nov 4th 2015, Any Issues?

profile.country.GB.title
TheRookieUK

New YouView Update - Nov 4th 2015, Any Issues?

Hi.

I am siting here on my Lunch checking for Issues with the New YouView update (Nov 4th 2015) that was released today, debating on installing this tonight on my KDL-50W809c Sony 2015 TV when I get home.

I have had issues with the current Freeview guide losing the signal after 3 days and having to retune the channels in again so think that I may risk updating to see if it fixes this issue.

BUT before I do that has anyone else had any failed installs, slow performance, black screens, YouView lockups, TV bricks, Other loss of features/issues since the update?

I ask as my 3D and Digital Signal issues only happedned after the last update.

Please post the issues here. I know these are also being added to the main Pinned post but that is now upto 240+ pages.

Thanks

89 REPLIES 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, this may sound silly and a pure stab in the dark.  Find an irish postcode near you and try using that when scanning the channels?

bpcampbell

Spoiler

Hi, Thanks for suggestion.

Ireland as yet does not have a postcode system,

getting introdused shortly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bpcampbell - Doh, what I will do, is flag your issue with Sony Support, as I simply dont know, and cant see any reason why it should not work.  Cheers

bpcampbell

Will do,

Thanks anyway,

bpcampbell

Hi, say this @ www.pocket-lint.com

So Chris, have you seen the Sony Community's response to this update? Sony have AGAIN failed to deliver. Enabling YouView disables Satellite functionality. The YouView guide does replace the EPG (if you were lucky enough to have an EPG that worked in the first place), this is not an enhancement... The Sony Android TV's continue to deliver a great picture, but the software is so riddled with problems and the services advertised are NOT functional that no-one should ever buy one. I did, hoping things would be fixed. There's not many decisions I've regretted more in life.

malcolm1962

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi there

No extra issues have been reported as I can see.  This update was purely to add YouView to the TV and by all accounts the roll-out has gone rather smoothly.

I have answered your other questions in the other thread :

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/sony-kdl-50w809c-digital-tv-lost-channels-and-3d-pop-up-...

Cheers

You are having a laugh surely? How is disabling the satellite tuner as a price to pay for being able to use YouView a smooth roll-out? I do hope Sony pays you well for being its apologist on these forums.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Firstly all the reported satellite issues was not appartly an issue until AFTER I posted that message.

Secondly, these TVs have never been marketed as Freesat type TVs. I am not really sure where the expectation has come from that the YouView Guide would work with Satellite channels.  YouView has always been marketted as terrestrial broardcasts with catchup services (addtional IPTV on demand services according to other pay tv providers).

I will take this up with Sony to see what they say about things and see if a solution can be easily found - as far as I can see, upon re-enabling YouView once it has been disabled, you have to go through all the polarva of accepting terms and conditions and it will ask you to re-tune the channels back in.  If you skip the re-tune, the channels will come up anyway, according to my test just now.  What needs to happen is a quick enable/disable of YouView.  Also, ideally the availabiliy of ITV player and /ch4 players when disabled.

I received the new Youview update and have now lost my "general satellite" input via the onboard satellite tuner. I rely on this for several non-local and non-terrestrial channels and am very annoyed. Sony is a global brand and will need to fix this fast. It is not good enough to suggest that the TV was not marketed on its satellite tuning get capabilities. I bought it for that capability, urged on by the Sony salesman in the shop.  Poor show so far, Sony. No lame excuses required. Just a fix and a date for it before the end of the year are all that are required. or I suspect that there will be a legal class action - they're automatic and cheap now, since the law changed last month remember! Everyone is automatically enrolled.

Meanwhile, does anyone know how I can undo/ remove Youview (Youdon'tviewnow, more like!).

Many thanks in advance.

Happy viewing! 😕

P A

HAPPY BUNNY. R£TURNED MY USELESS SONY ANDROID TV UNDER CONSUMER RIGHTS ACT 2015. R£SULT=R£FUND!
malcolm1962

I agree that the Android TV wasn't marketed as having a satellite tuner, but it was included in the detailed specifications on the Sony website. At the time of purchase,  nowhere on these specifications was it made clear that once YouView was made available and installed, this facility would be disabled. This only came to light when Sony advised of the November 4 update, albeit I hadn't actually noticed this at the time and it was only when i updated yesterday that I realised the full implication. i was aware that YouView is for the terrestrial tuner only and was never intended for the satellite channels. However, why is it not possible to have  YouView installed for when we are using the Freeview tuner and the ability to switch to the satellite tuner without having to disable YouView. Furthermore, why aren't the marketed ITV player, 4OD services not available without enabling YouView and disabling the satellite tuner?

Then there is the small matter if the HDD recording. It is clear that this marketed function is not going to be available if you enable YouView. Where was this made clear in Sony's marketing and specifications for this?

This situation is an absolute disgrace.
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Meanwhile, does anyone know how I can undo/ remove Youview?

Go Home/Settings/Channel setup/YouView setup and action 'Disable YouView'.

This will restore the regular Sony interface.

It has been reported that installing YouView deletes the satellite tunings, which would be a bad bug if so.

But see if you can re-establish Satellite by skipping the tuning of the channels there, or not.

If you can, this does give you the option of switching to and from the YouView interface quite quickly, as you can certainly skip the YouView tuning, if this has been done before, as these tunings are preserved.

But contrary to what Sony claim, that you can use the YouView interface to watch On Demand even if you do not have an aerial, I have seen it reported that YouView setup will not complete if no channels at all are found.

All these things need investigating; I have tried to check the 'no aerial' claims by pulling mine out and seeing what happens if I try to retune. While it reports finding no channels, it does not throw away the existing list, so this is clearly not the same situation as on a TV that has never been tuned OTA.

And I have no dish, and so will need to leave it to others here to test the satellite questions I have posed here.

Edit: Now tried retuning with no aerial, as above, but the previous tunings are kept.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking