Join now - be part of our community!

New YouView Update - Nov 4th 2015, Any Issues?

profile.country.GB.title
TheRookieUK

New YouView Update - Nov 4th 2015, Any Issues?

Hi.

I am siting here on my Lunch checking for Issues with the New YouView update (Nov 4th 2015) that was released today, debating on installing this tonight on my KDL-50W809c Sony 2015 TV when I get home.

I have had issues with the current Freeview guide losing the signal after 3 days and having to retune the channels in again so think that I may risk updating to see if it fixes this issue.

BUT before I do that has anyone else had any failed installs, slow performance, black screens, YouView lockups, TV bricks, Other loss of features/issues since the update?

I ask as my 3D and Digital Signal issues only happedned after the last update.

Please post the issues here. I know these are also being added to the main Pinned post but that is now upto 240+ pages.

Thanks

89 REPLIES 89

I've hit no bugs as such, but the YouView interface is awful.

Firstly you can't reorder the channels, in the guide or for the prog +/- buttons. This may seem like a minor thing, but for me it makes a TV almost useless for just seeing what's on, rather than wanting to watch a specific program.

Secondly while trying to setup YouView and sort out the guide I keep having to enter my PIN all the time. After the second time it gets really annoying. I understand that some people want to stop their kids viewing things they shouldn't, but what possible reason is there for not making this optional? I don't have kids, so I don't care who views what on my TV, but I still keep having to enter a pointless PIN just because Sony didn't have the common sense to let me turn that off.

I would definitely disable YouView altogether (which you can do), except Sony have decided to disable the old program guide, so I don't really have a choice.

I really like my Sony Bravia TV, the TV itself, but the software they put on it is awful. It seems like they deliberately found someone who has never used a TV in their life to design the interface. And YouView is the worst yet. I've only had my TV for 3 months, but I'm seriosuly considering throwing it away and buying one made by any other company because the software, especially YouView, is so bad.

If you're thinking of getting YouView, DON'T.

pdutton
Explorer

I live on the border, the normal guide either picks up Uk channels only when I set country as Uk, the ROI channels show in the guide once a Chanel has been tuned to. This happens the other way around when I set the TV country to Ireland.

as for Youview I can't download it to try. Keeps says Tv is up to date, is it picking up my IP address as being in ROI

After years of being a Sony customer I'm starting to lose my patience.

bpcampbell

Yes, live in  UK. Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.GB.title
Macvid
Explorer

I too have this issue following the latest software update on 4th November 2015. I was able to change satellite channels until I started to explore 'YouView'. From that point on only Freeview digital channels were available. Using either the 'Source' button on the remote to select 'General Satellite' or selecting ' General Satellite' from the 'Home' page only allowed access to digital terrestrial channels despite the fact that the 'General Satellite' appears.

Trying a different approach I attempted to re-tune the satellite channels. That option for satellite is greyed out making selection impossible. I spent the next hour going through initial set up again, agreeing to 'YouView' terms and conditions and recouping the satellite and terrestrial channels. This worked fine until I selected a 'YouView' channel, satellite navigation of channels lost again. I noted prior to this that the icon top left of screen showed 'D' for digital and 'S' for satellite until I used 'YouView', then no letter displayed.

Third approach was to run initial set up again. This time not agreeing to 'YouView' T&C's. It works fine now although I have no 'ITV Player' or '4OD'. BBC iplayer, 5 on demand work fine.

What I would like to know is:-

1. A) Why does the 'YouView' addition disable satellite channel selection or re-tuning?
  2. B) Is there a further work around somewhere in the menu system that allows 'YouView' to be selected On/Off to allow access to satellite channels when 'YouView' not in use?
danielbeyzade

We are running a campaign for Sony to reinstate the Satellite Tuner, HDD Recording and Twin Tuner in combination with YouView as originally promised in the marketing materials. Please PM me for an email template to send to Sony CEO Office. Thanks
profile.country.GB.title
Macvid
Explorer

I went through initial set up again and did not agree to 'YouView' terms and conditions. That restored the satellite tuning.

danielbeyzade

You will now be unable to acccess the on demand content such at 4od

profile.country.GB.title
Macvid
Explorer

Yes, very tru as I said in my earlier post.

I need to try this posted by RoyBrown.

Meanwhile, does anyone know how I can undo/ remove Youview?

Go to Settings/Channels/YouView and action 'Disable YouView'.

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Visionman wrote:

Hi all,

YouView doesn't and won't run with satellite enabled on these TV's, and thats stated in the product description. They don't have the licence to interact with a satellite platform, as such YouView is Freeview only.

It doesn't quite say that, though. It says satellite won't run with YouView enabled. Important difference,

it it might have been better if YouView had declined to run alongside satellite, and then at least satellite users could have decided what to do, and been duly warned.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
danielbeyzade

It did say. It was only recently this infromation was added to the website saying YouView does not work with the other features. When many people bought their units this information was not available.