Join now - be part of our community!

New YouView Update - Nov 4th 2015, Any Issues?

profile.country.GB.title
TheRookieUK

New YouView Update - Nov 4th 2015, Any Issues?

Hi.

I am siting here on my Lunch checking for Issues with the New YouView update (Nov 4th 2015) that was released today, debating on installing this tonight on my KDL-50W809c Sony 2015 TV when I get home.

I have had issues with the current Freeview guide losing the signal after 3 days and having to retune the channels in again so think that I may risk updating to see if it fixes this issue.

BUT before I do that has anyone else had any failed installs, slow performance, black screens, YouView lockups, TV bricks, Other loss of features/issues since the update?

I ask as my 3D and Digital Signal issues only happedned after the last update.

Please post the issues here. I know these are also being added to the main Pinned post but that is now upto 240+ pages.

Thanks

89 REPLIES 89
profile.country.GB.title
Macvid
Explorer

Hi Royabrown,

All I want is for the TV satellite tuning to work with a freeview tuner. I do not want 'YouView' to work with satellite tuning. I just want the TV to operate as advertised. Able to receive freeview and satellite reception. There is loads of documentation that tells you whats on where.

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
Visionman
Explorer

Secondly while trying to setup YouView and sort out the guide I keep having to enter my PIN all the time. After the second time it gets really annoying.

You can turn that off. Press Settings, scroll down to Personal> Parental lock> and then set the default/s to Off.

Actually you can't turn that off. I have done as you said (actually I'd already done it) and that stops SOME uses of the PIN. But I still have to enter it for some things, eg selecting which channels do/don't appear in the YouView guide.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@StopBreakingThings wrote:

I've hit no bugs as such, but the YouView interface is awful.

Firstly you can't reorder the channels, in the guide or for the prog +/- buttons. This may seem like a minor thing, but for me it makes a TV almost useless for just seeing what's on, rather than wanting to watch a specific program.

Secondly while trying to setup YouView and sort out the guide I keep having to enter my PIN all the time. After the second time it gets really annoying. I understand that some people want to stop their kids viewing things they shouldn't, but what possible reason is there for not making this optional? I don't have kids, so I don't care who views what on my TV, but I still keep having to enter a pointless PIN just because Sony didn't have the common sense to let me turn that off.

I would definitely disable YouView altogether (which you can do), except Sony have decided to disable the old program guide, so I don't really have a choice.

I really like my Sony Bravia TV, the TdV itself, but the software they put on it is awful. It seems like they deliberately found someone who has never used a TV in their life to design the interface. And YouView is the worst yet. I've only had my TV for 3 months, but I'm seriosuly considering throwing it away and buying one made by any other company because the software, especially YouView, is so bad.

If you're thinking of getting YouView, DON'T.

When you disable YouView, pressing Guide still brings up the Freeview Guide; it is only gone while you are in YouView.

if you reorder the channels while in the Freeview Guide and then go back into YouView but elect not to retune there, it will still proceed into the YouView interface, but you will find your channels stay reordered, as below.

For exact details on how to do this, and sundry other pearls of wisdom, see the YouView on Sony UFAQ here.

Sorry about the rather bizarre rules needed to keep this editable....

image.jpeg

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Macvid wrote:

Hi Royabrown,

All I want is for the TV satellite tuning to work with a freeview tuner. I do not want 'YouView' to work with satellite tuning. I just want the TV to operate as advertised. Able to receive freeview and satellite reception. There is loads of documentation that tells you whats on where.

Regards

Hi Macvid

Home/Settings/Channel Setup/YouView setup/Disable YouView will banish this excrescence from your life and put things back how they were (once you have retuned any satellite channels you had, should this prove necessary).

Or at least banish it until another Software Update turns up, though we might hope things would be fixed by then.

if I recall correctly, when the release with YouView in was made, there was no option to skip it?

Not, perhaps, that that worried anyone at the time. But seeing the consequences of it, then for the future I think there always needs to be this option.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
TheRookieUK

Hi All

Firstly:

YouView : FREEVIEW ONLY NOT FREESAT.

I have never attached Satelite to my TV directly, its either via a SKYHD+ Box, Virgin TIVO Box or as now a HUMAX S1000 Dual tuner recorder box setup on HDMI2.

I sugest this. Use YouView for FREEVIEW as it is and if it keeps playing up then as its only 2 days old it will be fixed by updates ASAP.

Then look on ARGOS, FACEBOOK, Ebay etc and buy a FREESAT HD standalone box. This way you now have Two methoda of channels, I use mine to record my programes 2 at once and then watch TV via YouView sony TV.

Yes its more money but you can always use the box again on a new TV or setup later. Boxes start at £50 ro HARDDISK versions around £150. (HUMAX is the best)

As for direct connections to a SONY from SATELLITE I have never done this so I can't comment.

Hope this helps.

YES there are a lot of bugs, but LG, SAMSUNG and every smart TV company have these, at least with Android we have the might of Google behind the OS.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Macvid
Explorer

Hi Royabrown,

Thank you. What a wonderful appropriate expression 'banish this excrescence from your life'.

Regards

Thanks for the info.

I had tried disabling YouView already, but unfortunately since the YouView update my Freeview guide didn't work. I had assumed this was a deliberate move by Sony to encourage the use of YouView, but no it was just a bug. Power cycling my TV fixed it - like I said this software is awful.

So now I can carry on without YouView. Hooray.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Macvid wrote:

Hi Royabrown,

Thank you. What a wonderful appropriate expression 'banish this excrescence from your life'.

Regards

Hopefully, those on the YouView Community, where I am a very active member, will recognise my sense of humour at work, and forgive me for that 🙂

malcolm1962

@TheRookieUK wrote:

Hi All

Firstly:

YouView : FREEVIEW ONLY NOT FREESAT.

I have never attached Satelite to my TV directly, its either via a SKYHD+ Box, Virgin TIVO Box or as now a HUMAX S1000 Dual tuner recorder box setup on HDMI2.

I sugest this. Use YouView for FREEVIEW as it is and if it keeps playing up then as its only 2 days old it will be fixed by updates ASAP.

Then look on ARGOS, FACEBOOK, Ebay etc and buy a FREESAT HD standalone box. This way you now have Two methoda of channels, I use mine to record my programes 2 at once and then watch TV via YouView sony TV.

Yes its more money but you can always use the box again on a new TV or setup later. Boxes start at £50 ro HARDDISK versions around £150. (HUMAX is the best)

As for direct connections to a SONY from SATELLITE I have never done this so I can't comment.

Hope this helps.

YES there are a lot of bugs, but LG, SAMSUNG and every smart TV company have these, at least with Android we have the might of Google behind the OS.

Cheers

I know you probably posted this with good intentions, but you really are insulting our intelligence with your recoomendations and comments. I don't know how many times it has to be repeated, but this TV was specified as having two satellite tuners, YouView, HDD recording, etc and nowhere did it say in any of the marketing material that if you choose to enable Youview, the other two features would be unavailable.

As for the "might of Google behing the OS", that's the most hilarious piece of absolute tosh I've heard in a long time.