Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
EggDublin

Thanks @Anonymous That's what I'll do alright, I imagine it's youview and the catchup stuff that differs between UK and everywhere else. Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@EggDublin wrote:

Thanks @Anonymous That's what I'll do alright, I imagine it's youview and the catchup stuff that differs between UK and everywhere else. Thanks.

Irrespective if this is the case, I am thoroughly fed up. I actually could not give two hoots about a software feature- i am more annoyed they have broken a hardware 3D feature with that stupid pop up. I am also sick of the memory leaks and slowdowns that mean I have to reboot the tv almost daily.

Any ETA @Anonymous for UK?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Information about all these issues has become harder than I had hoped for.  I will ask one of my contacts to see if there is any information

ianbeany
Explorer

@mark-bo wrote:

@ianbeany wrote:

After two weeks of emails and phonecalls to JL I'm just not getting anywhere.

Ive told them about all the issues,  sent links to this forum,  mentioned its 'not as described',  mentioned its 'not fit for purpose',  mentioned the Sale Of Goods Act,  mentioned their 90 day refund policy etc etc

As things stand as of this morning they want to take it away for a repair/inspection.   Ive told them all I want is a refund - same as they have done for other people.

Let this be a warning to anyone thinking of buying from JL because of their wonderful '90 day return policy'

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do next.

I wonder if the problem is that stores like JL just can't grasp the concept that a major manufacturer like Sony would sell a product with some of the inportant advertised features non-functional. At present no amount of repairs or visits from Sony engineers will get the HDD function working.

I feel like taking it to my local JL store and just dumping it on the shopfloor and telling them Im not leaving till I get my money back.

My local is in the middle of a big indoor shopping centre though so its a bit far to be dragging such a big heavy box around :tongue:

profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

A few days left to me return it within Currys 21 days...

It's required me to restart it 4 times, and i've only ever used netflix/amazonvideo/ps4 on it, not even started messing around with youview yet as i'm waiting until I can get an aerial fitted..also I can't use ITV/C4/C5 apps until youview is set up (requiring the aerial..)

Leaning towards returning it tomorrow as of now 😞

scoopy6

The Tv's aim to do a lot but clearly it was not a good idea to start selling the Android models until Sony had properly determined how that could be achieved in practice, but buyers were expected to trust the brand....which was not such a good idea either.

From previous experience we knew YouView was likely to be disappointing, although others must have liked it, and reckoned it would be made redundant by the promised recording feature, so we would never have required both.

We hardly comprehend some of the other features which have proved problematic and perhaps they are exotic to many other users too. We have noticed the gross and patchy bleeding effect around blank screens, but not that it has been obvious in normal viewing.

To us currently the main snag is the on-off-on flickering and delaying effect when calling the non-YouView EPG. Of course a factory reset should not be required and It does seem extraordinary that this should be present at all, let alone that it persists after updating. Perhaps eventually it will be made to go away but even that seems to be taking rather a long time :dizzy: so good luck with the other things and fingers crossed that in the end we will really get the Recording feature!

On the evidence here, when the promised features have not materialised, I reckon it it is simply not good enough for suppliers to refer to subcontracted assessors/repairers for such established 'not of marketable quality/fit for purpose' issues and Customer Service should be more than a slogan.

49X8309C in uk
UKPiglet

@Anonymous

I was watching live channel 4 HD tonight and the lip sync was pretty dreadful.

I grabbed a camera and took this tiny clip. It's not as clear as I'd like.  I was going to take more but she who must be placated just wanted to watch the program.

https://youtu.be/9xWZoukJp80

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@scoopy6 just to highlight that with the latest firmware released yesterday for all the countries except UK the flickering with the EPG has gone... hope it will be included soon also in UK firmware!

scoopy6

Thanks rooobb, so maybe it was on the list all along.

49X8309C in uk
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@rooobb wrote:

@scoopy6 just to highlight that with the latest firmware released yesterday for all the countries except UK the flickering with the EPG has gone... hope it will be included soon also in UK firmware!

We may surmise that the UK firmware has been held back due to considerations with the UK-only YouView software.

If so, those who were inconvenienced by the introduction of YouView, or even those who found the offering less than compelling, will regard this as another strike against it 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking