Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
rr9054
Explorer

Hello People,

Ok so i have now taken my KD-55X8509C back to Richer sounds after 2 & half months becuase no matter how many times i spoke to sony for help they always found a way to brush me to one side telling me the higher technical department will call me back... i truly belive there was not any higher department and no matter how many firmware updates i waited for, the TV could not be fixed.

My Problems were the slow crashing android system and the edge lit back light which i must say had such an effect on my viewing, and i have to say you could not watch a movie with dark scenes without excessive back light bleeding. the motion was good but this sacrafices soo much detail as i have now found out having purchused 2014s Flagship the panasonic-ax902 from the panasonic outlet store for £950, also the customer service from these guys is amazing and a breath of fresh air compared to sony. Might i add they actualy tell the truth. 

I used to look up to sony as a kid thinking i could only afford phillips goodmans or alba but now a working adult who wanted to invest something great JUST DID NOT GET IT!!!

OK so the panasonic-ax902 makes my movie and football viewing exceptionaly good becuase this full array lit LED tv shows me the blacks i need for the deepest darkest scenes and  natrual light and you really feel like you are inside the movie and the fooball viewing is soo much better, the sony viewing was so grainy and saturated & bogey green no thanks to the holo graphic VA panel.... yuk! 

Without even thinking about it this is my 3rd panasonic tv in 10 years and i will be sticking with them. Sony the pain you have caused me is untold and your lies deserve a smack in the teeth.

profile.country.GB.title
Stevevalo

What concerns me is the non-tech savy people, normally older generation. Or even people that don't come here and are not aware of all the faults these TVs have.

I've had 2 of these sets, 43W and 43X both returned a while back, still looking for a replacement. Leaning towards the samsung 40JU7000. Any comments on this?

Looking for Freesat, Freeview, HDD record and series link which I believe the Samsung have. Would consider an LG but don't think they do Freesat?

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@Stevevalo You are right, majority of users don't use advanced facilities, hence are less likely to notice problems or lock up TV due to excessive pressure on the operating systems. However don't right off older generations... I'm over 60, bought the TV (43W805C) for all the extra goodies, which either have not yet been enabled or break when I use them. I can list many problems which make this model NOT fit for purpose or as advertised. The suppliers seem to think we will be happy if you can just watch an off air channel. A lot of old school people will swictch their TVs off at the socket before they go to bed, which has the effect of resetting most of the OS problems, that creep up over time.

I hope Sony can do something to restire their reputation which was good until this fiasco.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
SonyMP99
Explorer

Very disappointed with the software in my 2015 Bravia Android TV, especially after the YouView Nov 4th update. Issues:

1. Slow and unresponsive when changing channels. Leave it on standby overnight and the following day it's unusable until turned off/on at the plug.Can't even change channels.

2. Turn the TV off with the remote, the picture goes off but the sound continues until it's switched off at the plug.

3. All4 app crashes mostly about halfway through watching something. Trying to restart just shows a blank white screen. Off at the plug and restart.

4. Click the +/- PROG button on the remote and it usually takes 1 ot 2 seconds to move to the next channel. Impossible to quickly skip through the channels.

5. The Smart TV side of the TV is as slow after the Nov 4th update as it was before.  Again it's a case of press the remote button and wait..... 

When spending over £1000 on a new TV I just don't expect to be left with such a poor user experience. If the next update doesn't turn this TV into something usable then it's going back. 

Consumers are used to so much better these days. Really, shame on you Sony. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@royabrown ok anyone has the right to see the glass half empty or half full :slight_smile:

I'm Italian and envy the possibility for UK only people to have advanced features....

If you want our version of the firmware just reinstall it and tell him you leave in Italy :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Hi roobb

it may not come across that I am a big fan of YouView, and want to see it do well on these Sony TVs, as badly as everyone wants to see Android come good for Sony 🙂

So I have to keep an eye on the YouView experience, and as such can't avail myself of this firmware update. Which probably only stops the regular Guide from flickering, and I am using the YouView Guide anyway.

But I'm pretty much a glass half full person myself, and I know that YouView and Sony will fill the other half over time. Just not how much time, or if everyone here can or will wait.

But I have a nice reliable Samsung, coupled to a nice reliable YouView PVR, to tide me over until the Sony comes good. And if/when it does, it will kick the butt of both the Samsung and the YouView PVR together; can't wait to see the day.

(Well, actually, I can wait; but I know not everyone is in my fortunate position here).

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Shodney

This TV is a complete disaster - no two ways about it.

After 6 months, I *still* have to turn it off at the socket once a day just so it runs at a reasonable speed. I *still* have to sit and wait several minutes while it sits ignoring the remote. I *still* have to sit and watch apps crash constantly and throw weird error messages.

Using this TV is a daily exercise in frustration. I've given up trying to watch it for short bursts while I sit and have breakfast or lunch, as by the time the TV actually starts to do what I want I've finished eating and ready to go elsewhere. I guess it's doing me a favour in a weird way...

Youview is another example of 1 step forward, 2 steps back. It's *slightly* more responsive than the stock EPG, but we lose satellite, recording, and the abillity to set reminders (which is something they recently added, just to take it away again).

Seems like the picture quality has taken a huge step back in the last update too. The upscaling of SD content looks to be a lot blurrier than previous, with artifacting (weird horizontal lines) present a lot of the time. It looks like it did at launch, which was later fixed with an update, but it seems to have reverted back again. Picture quality was the only redeeming thing on this TV, but even that has disappeared now.

Just to top it all off, CES is in 6 weeks time. Sony will be trumpeting it's new set of 2016 TVs, and ours will turn to legacy products. They'll be releasing new TVs while the old ones still don't work. I'm hoping that they at least keep using Android as the OS, and any improvements they make to the new TVs can be ported to ours, although I wouldn't bet on it.

Sony engineers have shown that they are utterly incompetent and can't fix the issues in a timely manner, or at all. Our only hope is that someone over on XDA figures out a root, so that we can get a clean Android OS without all of Sony's bloat making a mess of things. We can only hope...

In the meantime, I'll just sit and resent the TV that cost me £1800 over 6 months ago, and that still doesn't work. Unfortunately I have no chance of sending it back now, that ship has sailed. If anybody reads this who still has that option, I fully reccomend you send it back at the earliest chance.

nigeldavey
Explorer

Guys, with the comments in this forum alone you have an incredibly strong case if one of you is prepared to take this to a Small Claims Court for a breach of the Consumer Rights Act (formally Sale of Goods Act).

Once you win, and I strongly believe you would under the 'not fit for purpose' section alone, you only need to post the details of your court case here. The moment others make their retailers aware of this precendent, and they believe you (the customer) will follow a similar legal path (citing this forum and the win) they will back down. It would be more costly for them not to and go through the legal process knowing they will lose.

Remember this legislation holds true for up to 6 years after your purchase (in the UK), but particularly within the first six months. 

profile.country.GB.title
Folkfanger

@Anonymous As we recently bought our 65-S8505 as a screen for our Humax Freetime box we probably won't use a lot of the features so not so many problems, although if record and youview worked we wouldn't need the Humax box.

My main problems are:

• Slow start up and delays/black screen when changing from anything to anything (I call this clunky)
  • The sound (to my sound system) drops out often when changing between HD and SD and when changing input sources, also sometimes no sound on switching on. Its an easy fix, I just hit the volume up button twice and the sound comes back. But annoying.
  • I don't get 5.1 on some sources. (not fully tested as to which)
  • Occasionally th TV switches off for no reason

Does anyone know whether 3D works properly. My wife wants us to get 3D glasses. At £100 for two pairs I need to know that it works before shelling out.

profile.country.GB.title
Stevevalo

@frogger38 I know, i was thinking older than 60 :slight_smile:  I was writing on my phone at work, but thats still no excuse. You are of course correct, there are non-tech savy people in all age groups.

A year is a long time to get the software in order, and don't forget there must have been a lot of programming before these units came to the market, I believe that the hardware is just not up to the job. Do all other 2015 smart TVs have quad core processors? and you could argue that these are doing less. i.e. no Android, no Youview, no PS Now, etc.

I'm now looking at a LG 43UF770V, 4K, FreeviewHD, Freesat HD, HDD recording, Series Recording and Time shift, Is it missing anything?