Join now - be part of our community!

888 flashing on top-right corner

profile.country.GB.title
Kay11.
New

888 flashing on top-right corner

I have just bought smart TV, and on certain programmes 888 flashes up in right hand corner. I am struggling to find out why and can it be corrected.

I am 80 and finding my way around..

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi Kay11,

Can you let us know the model number of your TV? Also, are you talking about the aerial digital channels?

Cheers,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Kay11.,

Welcome to the Sony Online Community and our apologies if it took us some time to respond.

It is most likely that you have connected an STB (Set-Top Box) to your new TV in order to watch programmes and change channels. A number of these STB's provide a subtitles stream which can be overlaid on the TV programme you are watching. This feature has been traditionally used by people with a hearing impairment in order to follow a programme on TV. The flashing 888 number on the top right corner of your TV at the start of certain programmes is there as a notification for you to be informed that there are English subtitles available, should you be interested to set them on.

Be aware that in order to set on this feature you will need to press the teletext button (the button displaying the shape of a TV screen with three lines inside it) on your STB remote, followed by pressing three times the number 8 button.

So there is otherwise nothing to be worried about regarding the 888 number flashing on your new smart TV.

Please feel free to post back if anything is not entirely clear to you. We will certainly be happy to answer your questions on the Sony Online Community.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Georgeastaniou
New

I read on the Sky community board that the BBC has accepted that it is a technical issue associated with their transmission and they are working on a solution. 

Tags (1)