Join now - be part of our community!

Amazon App problem

profile.country.GB.title
pmitche
Explorer

Amazon App problem

My Sony KD49XD8088 has recently developed a fault with the Amazon App; when attempting to play video content the display goes blank combined with stuttering audio. Most of the time stopping the play and restarting the stream sorts it and video streams work fine until I stop the app and return to it,  then the fault occurs again. Sometimes the app locks up and the only way out is to restart the tv. It only recently showed this fault and there has not been (as far as I'm aware) a software upgrade. Th TV is on the latest November 2016 firmware.

Does anyone else have this problem (or a solution)?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Is that restart a full Factory Reset? That might be what you need.

My X83 is pulling in Billy Bob in UHD with nary an issue here, though the 30Mbps helps, I'm sure.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
pmitche
Explorer

Just a Soft reboot does the trick when all else fails; very reluctant to do
a hard reset as it takes ages to get the satellite channels back (no Freesat
is another major fault).

I have 38mb downloads and have no issues with Netflix 4K streams, this leads
me to suspect the Amazon app.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I understand the reluctance to factory reset the TV - it can take time to set it up again.  But its also one of the most common ways to resolve many issues.  Writing down all your picture settings can save loads of time in the end too.

Have you tried clearing the cache and data in the Amazon App itself?  Might be worth a try - you will need to re-log back in again with your Amazon credentials after doing so however.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

I had to log in to the Amazon app. Cunning login, where it gives you a code, and then you have to go to your Amazon account and type that code in, whereupon the app on the TV starts working for you.

Saves a lot of hunt and peck on the 'keyboard' on the TV,  but seems a bit spooky to me, my devices chatting amongst themselves 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking

I have exactly the same issue. I contacted Sony for help and the said to do a full factory reset. I've done this and still have exactly the same problem.

Eventually the video does work but sometimes I will have to stop and start the video 3 or 4 times to get it to work. Also the UHD only works occasionally despite the fact I have 110Mbit fibre optic broadband and netflix 4k works flawlessly.

If anyone finds a solution it would be appreciated.

Fluffpup
Explorer

I'm currently having the same problem. My software is up to date, I have reset the TV, cleared the cache from the app ect but it's still happening. I'm paying for Amazon video and it's very annoying when I can't always watch it. Please could this be fixed soon. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ive forgotten about this thread, but since the Marshmallow update on my TV a few weeks back, I have the same problem.

However there are various other Amazon app issues currently already on the bugs and issues list:

Amazon Video - Juddering Issues - see HERE

Amazon Video - Lip Sync Issues - see HERE

I may add this issue to the list as well

Cheers

Fluffpup
Explorer

Yes I've also experienced juddering on Amazon, I thought maybe it was my internet buffering but I've not had this problem anywhere else or with any other apps. Thank you Quinnicus, I would appreciate that. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

It's the Android TV app. And the weak CPU cores. I did a real time comparison watching the same 1080p movie with Amazon Video from the PS4 and the tv, switching between the two. It was like night night and day. Not only the Android app lagged, stuttered, had issue pressing volume while the PS4 app was extremely fluid. It also took 10 sec or so to go Full HD/1080p while on the PS4 it was immediate. Obviously on the same identical LAN. I can't really test with my phone because it is 720p (and  it has a much faster SoC than that awful one we have in the television).

Hopefully Amazon will work on a optimisation soon. Also (hopefully again!!) adding Chromecast support as well in the app for mobile (I need that for another dumb television I have).