Join now - be part of our community!

Amazon App problem

profile.country.GB.title
pmitche
Explorer

Amazon App problem

My Sony KD49XD8088 has recently developed a fault with the Amazon App; when attempting to play video content the display goes blank combined with stuttering audio. Most of the time stopping the play and restarting the stream sorts it and video streams work fine until I stop the app and return to it,  then the fault occurs again. Sometimes the app locks up and the only way out is to restart the tv. It only recently showed this fault and there has not been (as far as I'm aware) a software upgrade. Th TV is on the latest November 2016 firmware.

Does anyone else have this problem (or a solution)?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I tried a first generation Fire TV Stick at my sister's last time. It features an even weaker ARM Cortex A9 chipset, running Android 5 Lollipop! Compared to the Amazon app on Sony, GUI navigation and video playback on the Fire TV Stick was so much better.

The app on Sony is just crap. And Sony crap bloatware on the TV probably doesn't make the situation better. Lollipop can actually be fast on a slow SoC which I now learned from the Fire TV Stick...

Fluffpup
Explorer

Oh cool, thanks. I keep forgetting I have Amazon on my PS4. I'll just watch it on the PlayStation in future. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Fluffpup wrote:

Oh cool, thanks. I keep forgetting I have Amazon on my PS4. I'll just watch it on the PlayStation in future. 

Yeah, that's probably the best solution! :laughing:

@Kuschelmonschter I don't know. I wouldn't blame Sony (or the SoC performances) for once. I tested now the Amazon app on my Xperia M2 (which has a 540p screen and 1/3 the Antutu performances of the MT5891), and it is actually snappier. Jumping from a scene to another is nearly immediate. Yes, it has a much lower resolution (1/4 of the pixels), but I don't believe that's it. Needless to say, on my Xperia X Compact (720p) it's even much faster. Oh, no, great. It's stuttering right now sending the screen via Googlecast (in mirroring mode). Bah. Horrible app.