Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
FransD58
Explorer

I'm having the same problem after the software update. As soon as I leave the EPG, all my set favorites are gone.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi.. some very interesting points been made. 

I understand putting Netflix and Amazon apps aside. 

Yes it's a 4K pannel and that's not going to change. 

It's the old Resolution vs framerate debate.

I do understand that this particular subject is more for the gamers hence '' input '' lag as well. 

As far as I understand it's to have as low input lag as possible and better framerate hence far  better motion in most cases as iv seen so many comments about this on-line. 

However I still stand by some of my comments and I don't personally agree it's just the ''plasibo'' effect or I'm not going mad... Lol. 

As I also stumbled across this thread on nivida website. 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/846397/optimal-hdmi-setting-frame-rate-resolution-/?offset=...

I do agree very much in what's being said on nivida website. 

So instead of running at 4K 30fps it's running at 1080p at much higher framerate at 60fps. 

So what I was going for in effect it's like having a premium 1080p 60fps in a 4K pannel. Quality over just a high resolution. 

I mean you can go down to a supermarket and. Get a basic 4K for just under £349 now but the rendering and hardware would be rubbish if you just want high resolution it's not always the case. 

That's why funny enough Sony are the only company that still supports 1080P TVs and in fact now they are selling them with HDR. 

So it's what you personally what out the panel for me I am happy to sacrifice some resolution and get double the framerate considering pretty much all terrestrial HD channels transmit at 1080i. 

I brought this TV as an investment anyhow. 
But that's me.. I think it's worth more forum members trying this option out and getting more feedback. 

When I can afford to get fibre broadband or virgin media broadband as Netflix 4K needs a minimum 15mbs or 25mbs they recomend and so I have a 4K pannel ready that I can stream native 4K. 

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone
xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

"I do agree very much in what's being said on nivida website. 

So instead of running at 4K 30fps it's running at 1080p at much higher framerate at 60fps."

I have the SONY XD558509c.  It does 4k@60fps with Zero problems on my PC and my Playstation 4 Pro.   I'm pretty sure your TV can run 4k@60fps with zero problems too.

Still doesn't change the fact that your tweak does exactly NOTHING to video sources as I stated in my previous post

As my TV also has an active 3d panel it can do 1080P@120fps.

Patrandec

Hi all - apologies if this has been answered somewhere else - I can't find any relevant posts. I'm very worried that my 2016 model - 43XD8099 hasn't been listed by Sony for this update. Only the 2016 55 inch and up 2016 models are listed. Does anyone know why? If the 43" models are not getting updated - which would be outrageous - then I'll send it back to John Lewis as it's still under warranty.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Still doesn't change the fact that your tweak does exactly NOTHING to video sources as I stated in my previous 

It does have an immediate and very noticeable effect ON 1080 HDMI SOURCES ONLY. Sorry for the caps but this point keeps being missed over and over again. It's smoother and there's the sort of natural clarity you don't get when 1080 is upscaled to 4k. It's a more natural image. I'm not really bothered if you keep loudly insisting it makes no difference as I can see that it obviously does. 

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi it's nice to see then I'm not going mad!

And someone else has also agreed with me.

I'm am watching UK Gold now via my
''Now TV '' Box and it does effect external sources as well and colors are more pronounced or pop out a bit more whites and blacks well on my TV it does.

I have also made comments as well on one of my earlier posts today which I have noticed apart from the very natural motionflow.

Be great to here any other forum members if they have noticed a change or nothing at all.

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

@Garymjh

" It does have an immediate and very noticeable effect ON 1080 HDMI SOURCES ONLY. Sorry for the caps but this point keeps being missed over and over again. It's smoother and there's the sort of natural clarity you don't get when 1080 is upscaled to 4k. It's a more natural image. I'm not really bothered if you keep loudly insisting it makes no difference as I can see that it obviously does. "

Everything on your TV is upscaled to 4k regardless of whether its a 240p Youtube Video or a 1080p source.  You have a 4K TV, it will always be a 4K TV and can never be a 1080p TV.  It doesn't matter if your TV is doing the scaling, or your Playstation, Xbox or PC is doing it, ALL non-native 4K sources fed to your TV are upscaled to fit the panel.

If you natively outputted a source to your TV at 1080 res without scaling as you seem to be implying, your image will be in a rectangular window in the middle of the screen exactly a quarter the size of your panel surrounded by a massive black border.

If you want to see what this effect would look like, find a 1080p encoded Movie or Tv show in Kodi, start it up, go to Video settings and change the output to "Original Source", you will have an image as exactly as I stated above.

I'm not going to post anymore on this subject, you can make your own conclusions, it's your TV after all.  Cheers!

profile.country.GB.title
nospamjl
profile.country.ES.title
kaplox

Ohhhh and my 43W808C model 2015 is not on the list? 😞 Why?

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

It took them this long to get Marshmallow 6.01 Wright.

Anyway they are probably doing the update in stages.

Sony realised Marshmallow 6.01 over a year ago in US first and that went wrong before our EU models got out update back in February this year.

We shall see but it would be great to see.