Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

@xx4L0Mxx wrote:

@Garymjh

" It does have an immediate and very noticeable effect ON 1080 HDMI SOURCES ONLY. Sorry for the caps but this point keeps being missed over and over again. It's smoother and there's the sort of natural clarity you don't get when 1080 is upscaled to 4k. It's a more natural image. I'm not really bothered if you keep loudly insisting it makes no difference as I can see that it obviously does. "

Everything on your TV is upscaled to 4k regardless of whether its a 240p Youtube Video or a 1080p source.  You have a 4K TV, it will always be a 4K TV and can never be a 1080p TV.  It doesn't matter if your TV is doing the scaling, or your Playstation, Xbox or PC is doing it, ALL non-native 4K sources fed to your TV are upscaled to fit the panel.

If you natively outputted a source to your TV at 1080 res without scaling as you seem to be implying, your image will be in a rectangular window in the middle of the screen exactly a quarter the size of your panel surrounded by a massive black border.

If you want to see what this effect would look like, find a 1080p encoded Movie or Tv show in Kodi, start it up, go to Video settings and change the output to "Original Source", you will have an image as exactly as I stated above.

I'm not going to post anymore on this subject, you can make your own conclusions, it's your TV after all.  Cheers!

I understand what you're saying and you're right of course. 

But the tv is doing *something* when on best frame rate which makes 1080 HDMI sources look more natural and be closer to an actual true 1080 feed.  True 1080 feeds nearly always look better than a 4k upscaled version

In a similar way the tv does *something* to tv recordings on usb drives which ruins the frame rate and makes them stutter, so this best frame rate setting is doing something to improve 1080 HDMI feeds. 

And like the tv recordings stuttering the improvement of HDMI feeds may not be present on all Sony models or even all of the individual tv's with the same model number. These tv's seem to be born with an individual life of their own which makes them so problematic. 

As Sony provide no information on what best framerate actually does I have no idea the details of what it does. But simply saying it makes no difference is simply wrong. Especially as you don't seem to have tried it. 

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi, That's a very good point! You may be in fact correct.

Their is ''something'' that's happening I wondering like you it has to do with the motionflow processing by the TV.

Their is a possibility that the TV is concentrating on giving a far better quality or high quality grade 1080 native signal rather than just '' ''upscale'' 4K all the time.

That's the comment I made on a earlier post on this thread that upscaling to 4K all the time is not necessary gives the best '' quality'' or rendering a picture along those lines...

This is were we may differ but it does effect my terrestrial HD TV as well I'm very addement about that for sure.

All HD channels are effected I.e BBC 1 HD or ITV HD and Channel 4 HD as they all transmit as 1080i. They all have the same effect as my ''Now TV '' Box which is connected via HDMI connection.

Also about Andriod 7 Nugurt that would be fantastic to get it on my KD-43X8307C 2015 model but I take posts like that with a pinch of salt.

I think Sony will deploy new Andriod software in small stages to see what happends in the market first before mass deployment happends.

It took them this long to get Marshmallow 6.01 working correctly and for my TV now works perfectly with the newer 3.85 update.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Their is a possibility that the TV is concentrating on giving a far better quality or high quality grade 1080 native signal rather than just '' ''upscale'' 4K all the time.

The panel is 4K, so it has to be upscaled at one point in time if you feed it 1080p.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Totally agree 👍.. With your comment.

Shame their is no more info on this or any other forum member would like to contribute to information they have on this subject or more concrete proof...

Otherwise as previous comment states I think that's as close as we are going to get with how we feel about it.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Shame their is no more info on this or any other forum member would like to contribute to information they have on this subject or more concrete proof...

I didn't bother so far as a lot of the theories written here just make no sense at all. Then again it is unknown what the setting does. The name suggests that it is an HDMI-only thing. I thought it would just limit the EDID on the HDMI ports to 1080p60. That I could easily test with a PC and reading the EDID via MonInfo. Maybe I will.

Fact is that the panel is a 4K running at either 50-60 or 100-120 Hz (depending on the model) and that all content is "upconverted" at that. Depending on the MotionFlow setting, content might get interpolated. I can't see how the setting would change that.

Also the Android UI is always rendered at 1080p60 and will in the end be "upconverted" by the TV. It has to do that. You can't change the characteristics of the panel.

So the only thing I can think of is that the setting changes something in the X1's image processing. Probably with the MotionFlow setting. It does not necessarily result in a soap opera effect if you don't crank the Smoothness slider all the way up to Max.

Most content on Netflix is 24p which has an inherent juddering. I could never discern this natural juddering from a 3:2 pulldown on a 60Hz panel. The only thing that can change it is frame interpolation. Put MotionFlow on Custom and set Smoothness to 3 (+Film mode to High). 24p will be pretty smooth then without too much of a soap opera effect. Netflix playback at standard settings here is pretty much what I would expect it to be.

profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

I don't even care what the framerate option does for 1080p sources. 

When I set framerate option in developer I have for the first time ever solved screen corruption and stutter when using multiple programs on a 4k RGB Full range windows desktop with an Nvidia cards. This setting for nvidia users is a 100% fix making the tv viable instead of totally non viable for windows computing in 4k full range.

The screen still receives a full 4k 3840x2160 picture but what is changing is that when a 30fps video or animation plays in a window eg scrolling videos on facebook or watching vlc player in the corner whilst scrolling a chrome website the tv doesn't try to sharpen and enhance the picture as a whole which was leading to the massive corruptions and flicker these Sony 4k android tvs were known for with Nvidia users. 

Massive massive change and I know now my tv holds its value and I can sell it one day to anyone knowing I can solve their motion issues if they plug a pc into it!

Mine is exclusively a pc monitor (55XD8599) with a little sky q 4k and ps4 pro hdr4k and this one change in the developer menu is allowing 4k brilliance on all hdmis still but correcting the major display corruption issues with playing varying media all over a 4k RGB Full range colour desktop. 

Also, the idea of setting colour 65, sharpness 63, Gamma Max, Contrast and brightness Max, All enhancements off except contrast medium and forcing BT2020 is amazing for tv, set motion to smooth and turn that Xreality off it is a cancer and creates loads of artefacts!!!

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

I don't care about android 7 on these TVs. I would like #Sony to fix all the bugs in this version.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

I thought it would just limit the EDID on the HDMI ports to 1080p60. That I could easily test with a PC and reading the EDID via MonInfo. Maybe I will.

That would be great. Thanks. 

profile.country.GB.title
Will_cain

Is there anyone else besides me who thought this thread was about whether the Marshmallow update was a viable to perform and hoping it would eventually contain info to support it or not. All this framerate stuff is jolly interesting but surely it should be in another thread so us normal people can read the simple stuff about marshmallow suitabilty.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I said that a while ago but nobody moved the thread