Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Android 6.0.1 reboots after enabling VPN apps

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Android 6.0.1 reboots after enabling VPN apps

I have installed via USB and tested Block This (open source) and Adguard (not together. One per time) on my KD49XD8099 with Android 6.0.1 and they simply worked great! No more annoying ads (yes, I know. Companies don't like it, especially Google, but they are perfectly legal. Also we are allowed by Android itself to install whatever we like).

The only problem is that after turning the TV off (standby) few hours, when I turn it on the television starts rebooting. Uninstalling them the television (and rebooting just in case) Android becomes "stable" again (quoted because I've got reboots even without tampering with special apps). The apps were set to enable the VPN at boot. Not that it should matter, since the reboot happens just putting the tv in standby.

Now, I do understand that an external app, not made specifically for Android TV may not work (but as I wrote they actually do the job they are made for), but if the television/Android reboots there is a (very critical) issue with the OS, not the app. To test the issue the developers just need to install the apps mentioned (again, enabling the VPN at boot).

148 REPLIES 148
profile.country.GB.title
Toraqa
Explorer

Same issue here, so far no solution but disconnecting tth vpn before i turn off my tv, hoping this problem will be fixed by sony shortly.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It's been there for 3-4 years now. Even models based on the brand new MediaTek platform have it. What makes you believe that Sony/MediaTek will fix it?

profile.country.NO.title
rapraprap

Hahaha my goodness it's so amazing how the problem is still there in the newest models, what kind of ridiculous carelessness and incompetence... I find myself checking these threads every once in a while just because I'm a glutton for punushment I guess.

I still can't get over how close these TVs are to being pretty decent products, like an underpowered but good enough Android box integrated in the set, with all the benefits that entails. Yet they miss the mark with the goofiest stuff you can imagine. Awful wifi drivers, constant wake-ups, mining and sending data home, Mbit LAN, where does it end.. And they even break EU law with their stand-by power consumption, hahaha.. oof.

Imagine if we could unlock the bootloader and get root... we could have so much fun with these machines, however underpowered they may be.

@Kuschelmonschter  your bug trackers on github sure make for some crazy reading man, sometimes I go look through the issues list for ATV2 just to laugh honestly... Thank goodness for people like you keeping on top of this stuff and trying to be proactive.

I think the best thing for everyone is to disable the networking features completely and turn these sets into dumb TVs (or as close as possible), and use an external product for your home entertainment needs. And never buy this shocking stuff again.

profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

I have got to my "great surprise" the update to Android Oreo on my KD49xd8077 tv from 2016. I was considering changing my opinion about Sony, but...

...a part that this bug is still there as expected...I am now wondering whether Sony has a quality department or not.

Already the home page and app management is full of bugs discovered in 30 seconds of use.:nauseated_face:

profile.country.AE.title
heapcooldudez
Explorer

I am living with this pain every single day. I haven’t seen so many bugs on a product like this.

The best way to use this TV is to use it just as a basic TV from 90s without internet and attaching any devices.
profile.country.US.title
Kingbusa
Explorer

Wow! I’m glad I came across this thread, I’ve been yelling at everyone except Sony. I bought a sonos playbar and amazon Alexa to go along with my XBR-65X930E, funny thing is that I also installed express VPN and signed up for their service. My Tv started rebooting every couple of hrs after I installed the sonos and Alexa, I never suspected the VPN app. I’m hoping this solves my issue  

profile.country.GB.title
robmello
Explorer

Another victim of this issue here - XE9005. It has only started doing it this week.

As with others, if I turn the VPN off before going into standby, it's fine.

This is poor from Sony to have such a long running issue like this not even being addressed. 

profile.country.AE.title
heapcooldudez
Explorer

Its weird, isn’t it. You just can’t switch off the TV at all. `if you are having a bad day, which happens to me every weekend. I turn on the TV and it reboots for 4-5 times , before it works properly.

Whatever we users speak gets into the deaf ears of the Sony officials. So the option left is to live with it.
profile.country.GB.title
makeitsimple
Explorer

1. What's the way you guys break the reboot loop? I am factory reseting the TV, 30 minutes procedure, have you something easier?

2. ExpressVPN customer service proposed to set the VPN protocol to "TCP". Can that help?

profile.country.GB.title
robmello
Explorer

rapraprap, end of your second paragraph is precisely the scenario unfortunately. It should not happen but it does.