Join now - be part of our community!

KD 48A9 image retention. Warning prompt displayed although all connected inputs switched off.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Kineck
Explorer

KD 48A9 image retention. Warning prompt displayed although all connected inputs switched off.

Any explanation will be appreciated. Pixel shift is on. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Kineck
Explorer

Thanks for your reply, it was a great help and helped me to clarify the situation. 

I had read the pixel shift information on the link you provided. There is not an instruction that the TV should be left on standby. The instruction simply calls for the TV to be switched off.  Although Sony might suggest that this is implied?

The prompt was a warning about image retention. It did not specify the reason why it appeared.

Your helpful answer enabled me to search more generally on OLED display controls and I found generic information on LG and Philips sites. So many thanks for your interest. Perhaps Sony might want to clarify/amend their manuals?

View solution in original post

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It specify to switch off the tv by using the button on the remote or the tv. In the reference manual is specified even further. Any oled tv works like this since they are all lg panels.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Which kind of prompt are you talking about?

profile.country.GB.title
Kineck
Explorer

Thanks for the question.
The TV is a very recent purchase so my I’m sorry if some of this appears very basic.

The prompt was in the form of a grey background banner that appeared when the TV was switched on. The first time on that particular day. I don’t leave the TV on standby overnight. (Not that there is a standby light that displays, but that’s another question?) The Sky + digibox is left powered on at all times. Might this be involved?
Other connections are a DVD player, connected but not yet used, and a ROKU stick connected only when required.
It was only after purchase that I discovered how unnecessarily invasive the YouView app is and I won’t use it and rely upon the the ROKU stick.  The Google assistant is also surplus to requirements. The price I must pay for the excellent picture quality?
I wonder how long the pixel shift function will protect the OLED functioning?

I will be grateful for any insight you might provide to this situation.

Thanks again,  Kineck

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sorry but I still miss what the message tell you apart that is inside a grey box...

In general:

• there is no standby led and I think it is great like this. The standby led is on (in orange ore purple) only if the tv is set for a timer or actually recording something
  • The tv HAVE TO BE LEFT in standby since only when plugged to the power it can run the cycle to remove any possible retension on the OLED panel so preventing any further damage. This is done approximately every 4 hours of usage. After ca. 2000 hours it will do a more comprehensive cycle 
  • You don't need to use the Youview features if you won't. You may still rely on the freeview digital tuner and related catchup app. Don't know which additional features the Roku stick will give you, but since I'm not in th uk I'm not the right person to give you an advice
profile.country.GB.title
Kineck
Explorer

Thanks for your reply, it was a great help and helped me to clarify the situation. 

I had read the pixel shift information on the link you provided. There is not an instruction that the TV should be left on standby. The instruction simply calls for the TV to be switched off.  Although Sony might suggest that this is implied?

The prompt was a warning about image retention. It did not specify the reason why it appeared.

Your helpful answer enabled me to search more generally on OLED display controls and I found generic information on LG and Philips sites. So many thanks for your interest. Perhaps Sony might want to clarify/amend their manuals?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It specify to switch off the tv by using the button on the remote or the tv. In the reference manual is specified even further. Any oled tv works like this since they are all lg panels.