Join now - be part of our community!

kd-49xh8196

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
dmlondon
Explorer

kd-49xh8196

My elderly parents have just bought a kd-49xh8196, my father is hard of hearing so has sennheiser Bluetooth headphones which with the old tv could be connected whilst also allowing my mum to listen through the tv speakers, can this model be made to do the same? John Lewis said it could in store but now told them it can’t (helpful after delivery and disposing of their old tv), surely there is a work around? Their old one was 15 years old!

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@dmlondon 

Which is why I asked what the old TV was, but you have told me what the new one is 😛

But anyway, these 2016 headphones are not Bluetooth: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ask/questions/Tx2J1KSCT4WJYBY/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza

But here, we find they can work over Optical or Analogue (Headphones output):-

https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/2663/RS175_Manual_EN_0919.pdf

And cables for both were supplied with the headphones.

I don’t know (despite now knowing what the new TV set is 😛) if plugging in to the headphones output of the TV to feed the transmitter will mute the TV speakers, thereby cutting off what your Mum listens to; you could look in the TV manual if it does, to see if this can be avoided,

But I think the optical feed will be better anyway, and you can set this to fixed level, I think, so your Dad can choose his own volume level entirely independent of what level your Mum chooses.

So go and be the hero, without having to buy anything new at all (as long as you or your Dad can find that supplied Optical cable, or another one!), set it up for them, and come back and tell us if they are pleased with it 🥰

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@dmlondon 

I trust that John Lewis are prepared to honour their legal obligation under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to take the set away and refund your parents’ money?

As the assertion they made was incorrect, but was relied upon as a condition of sale, and John Lewis correcting this information after purchase is helpful, but the sale remains invalidated.

The alternative solution would be to buy a Bluetooth transmitter that runs off the optical output of the TV (if they are not using this for anything else) and works with the headphones.

Here are some, though you will have to figure out which is best for him:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TROND-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Simultaneously/dp/B01N9PI9T6

Under the circumstances, John Lewis might prefer to pony up the £30-£60 involved, rather that take the set back and allow your parents another choice. And your parents might prefer that also, if the Sony otherwise ticked more boxes for them than competing makes did.

profile.country.GB.title
standinman
Explorer

Yes you will be able connect your bluetooth headphones just download the Bluetooth scanner app from the Google play store to add the headphones!

Enjoy your new tv !

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@dmlondon 

Are you sure those headphones are Bluetooth, though, and not just wireless ones?

The first TV with built-in Bluetooth wasn’t released until 2007, only 13 years ago, and then it was high-end and cutting edge, so I would query either if their TV was quite that old, or if what it had was Bluetooth.

Can you quote the make and model of the TV, and the model number of the Sennheiser headphones, before we go much further, to check if we are trying to solve the right problem?

profile.country.GB.title
dmlondon
Explorer

Thanks for the replies. Maybe 15 yrs ago was a mum exaggeration! The TV they bought is KD49XH8196BU and the headphones SENNHEISER RS175. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@dmlondon 

Which is why I asked what the old TV was, but you have told me what the new one is 😛

But anyway, these 2016 headphones are not Bluetooth: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ask/questions/Tx2J1KSCT4WJYBY/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza

But here, we find they can work over Optical or Analogue (Headphones output):-

https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/2663/RS175_Manual_EN_0919.pdf

And cables for both were supplied with the headphones.

I don’t know (despite now knowing what the new TV set is 😛) if plugging in to the headphones output of the TV to feed the transmitter will mute the TV speakers, thereby cutting off what your Mum listens to; you could look in the TV manual if it does, to see if this can be avoided,

But I think the optical feed will be better anyway, and you can set this to fixed level, I think, so your Dad can choose his own volume level entirely independent of what level your Mum chooses.

So go and be the hero, without having to buy anything new at all (as long as you or your Dad can find that supplied Optical cable, or another one!), set it up for them, and come back and tell us if they are pleased with it 🥰

profile.country.GB.title
dmlondon
Explorer

@royabrown2 

thanks so much, getting info out of my parents is hard! Your solution worked perfectly and they are set up exactly as they wished. Thank you so much for your help.