Join now - be part of our community!

[Master Thread] - 4K / 2160p Juddering Issues - Sky/BT

SOLVED
palmeri8145
Explorer

[Master Thread] - 4K / 2160p Juddering Issues - Sky/BT

Hi all - thanks for all the informative information I have found on this community site.

I have recently purchased the above tv and I am using it with a (UK) BT Ultra HD package. The output of the box is 2160p50 and I have set it to 10 bit colour.

Generally speaking I am very happy with the telly but I am experiencing a bug which sounds similar to the "Screen Format: Full" issue reported on another thread.

After a period of watching TV (normally longer extended periods of say 2 hours), the picture starts to judder and the "Screen Format: Full" message flicks on and off. The only way to recover this is to switch the telly off and on again which seems to allow the telly to "resync". This problem happens *every* day when watching TV at least once.

It is not a problem with the BT box as when I switch that on and off the picture problem does not clear.

I have tried different 4K related settings on the telly / BT box but the problem still occurs. Has anyone else noticed this with the TV ?

Thanks,

Ian

279 REPLIES 279
alanxce

I was getting some juddering on a non-UHD recorded program with my 55X8509c set to 2160 so I set it back to 1080p and it went away.

Today I applied the firmware update and I no longer have a problem at either 1080p or 2160 10/8 bit. I don't have a problem switching between the two either. 

Looks like the fix has worked for me but need a few days for that verdict to be conclusive.

milner993
Explorer

https://youtu.be/ubosgH9EERY 

Attached is a link to the juddering filmed on my KD-49x8309c after the most recent update, the clip will probably be taken down due to the recorded content so could this be forwarded on to Sony 

milner993
Explorer

If the link doesn't work type into youtube Sony bravia judder the clip is of the rocky boxing  fight scene 

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@milner993 wrote:

If the link doesn't work type into youtube Sony bravia judder the clip is of the rocky boxing  fight scene 

Have you factory reset both TV and Sky box and connected direct to tv from sky? If not you will need to do this before claiming it is not fixed.

frankie1g

Factory reset sky box why?
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@frankie1g wrote:
Factory reset sky box why?

There is a new update 3.0, what version is yours? Secondly when all other troubleshooting fails to work a factory reset is best practice to rule out anything else.

Taker316
Explorer

@Notspurs 

Check your hdmi settings are still set to enhanced.

profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

on enhanced. had a thought. 99.99% of everything we watch, is still broadcast in hd 1080i. with sky you have to set res to 2610. only watch their uhd content that means for 99.99% of the time, the sky boxes processor is upscailling the native 1080i res, to our tv. when i purchased my sony amp and blu-ray player, with 4k upscailling enabled, the picture on the tv occasionally stutterd and looked washed out. done some research, and read about "handshake" where upscailling processors of different equipment, clash with each other. It is recommended that all upscailling should be turned off which i have done , and let the tv's processor, upscale 1080 hd content, as it will probably be  far superior.

the only way on the sky box to disable the upscailling processor on the sky box, is to set resolution back to 1080i, only then is the tv in control of upcailling to 3***x 2***. is this the reason we are all getting judder? of coarse, no processing is required when watching native 4k..On netflix,  with uhd you just select the programme, and the native 2610 goes direct to the tv.  also when i get round to buying a uhd blu-ray player, again the tv will detect the 4k disk, and just play it. no changing res required. why do you have to set a picture res on the sky box? you should just go into the tv guide, select what you want, and whatever the native output of that programme is, the tv will play it anyway. sorry for the long post. ! set on 2610 the picture on my  8509c is starting to look crap again

Taker316
Explorer

I think it's more to do with the handshaking on the hdmi ports with 2160p. I have had the judder happen with my nvidia shield as well as sky q since the update, never had the judder on the shield before it. I spoke to Sony today, they asked about the upgrade process, whether I had a blank screen during the update. They still don't seem to have a date for new firmware, only that they are investigating the issue.

With Sky sending the signal at 2160p there should be no upscaling done by the TV. If the judder was the fault of Sky, then the other makes of TVs would also be experiencing the judder. Perhaps this is another part of why Sony is not using the Premium UHD Certification.

profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

UPDATE...  just put my hdmi ouput back to standard, checked setting on sky, and it's reverted back to 1080i. still leat got a bloody good picture again!. should have kept sky+hd box! besides dont think much of pq of sky's uhd content. watched a couple of episodes of the Blacklist, didn't look much different from hd. look at uhd content on youtube, then you go WOW  Only got sky q for the footie