Join now - be part of our community!

new tv/soundbar,no sound on my dvd player with dolby s

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jimred1
Explorer

new tv/soundbar,no sound on my dvd player with dolby s

hello

just purchased a new tv KD49X and soundbar HT-CT1 all working fine but when im playing a CD in Dolby i have no sound (its a sony blueray dvd connected to tv by a HDMI cable and the tv is connected to the soundbar by a optical cable) 

could some nice person point me to the correct setting please.

many thanks

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Current Equipment:

• TV - KD-49XD8088
  • Soundbar - HT-CT180
  • Bluray Player - BDP-S1500

Connections:

• TV > Optical > Soundbar
  • Bluray Player > HDMI > TV

Issue:

CD will play using Dolby S with TV is set to 'speakers' but will not play when outputting to 'Audio System'

---

According to Wikipedia - Dolby S:

"Dolby S was introduced in 1989. It was intended that Dolby S would become standard on commercial pre-recorded music cassettes in much the same way that Dolby B had in the 1970s, but it came to market when the Compact Cassette was being replaced by the Compact Disc as the dominant mass market music format. Dolby Labs claimed that most members of the general public could not differentiate between the sound of a CD and a Dolby S encoded cassette. Dolby S mostly appeared on high-end audio equipment and was never widely used."

On an issue such as yours - I would normally suggest that you plug the bluray player (BDP-S1500), directly into the soundbar (HT-CT180) via HDMI, however the HT-CT180 does not support HDMI connections at all. 

As @royabrown mentions about, it is unlikely that you cannot output Dolby S via optical. 

From Wikipedia again - S/PDIF

"S/PDIF can carry two channels of uncompressed PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound (such as DTS audio codec); it cannot support lossless formats"

To confirm this:

According to the manual for the HT-CT180, only the following two audio formats are supported:

HT-CT180 - Supported audio formats.jpg

So unfortunately Dolby S is not supported on the HT-CT180 and as you mention above, it plays fine if its not in Dolby S. 

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
jimred1
Explorer

Thanks very much to you all, it sounds like i need a new blue ray recorder that plays Dolby surround 

many thanks & Happy Christmas

profile.country.GB.title
jimred1
Explorer

Anyone recommend a Sony blue ray that plays in surround 

thanks

jim

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I dont think its the bluray player you need, but to play higher format sound you need an audio system (i.e. a soundbar) that connects to the TV via HDMI.

In your previous post you said Dolby S - I took it litterally as that 'Dolby S' and not 'Dolby Surround' - im really confused.

Are you referring to this:

HT-CT180 - Sound Effects.jpg

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
jimred1
Explorer

Well, so am I, just to confirm I have the new Star Wars blueray the trailers etc have sound but when the actual film starts we have now sound !

thats as simple as it gets I'm really don't understand Dolby etc but I hope you do!

thanks for your time!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, lets simplify this a little.

On the TV - Goto the Sound Settings area and change "Digital Audio Out" to PCM

And see what happens.

Edit:

If that doesnt work, try "Auto 2"

profile.country.GB.title
jimred1
Explorer

Simple sounds good, I will give it a try when I get home.

thanks for your help & patience!

profile.country.GB.title
jimred1
Explorer

Sorry I can't find this setting. Action menu then sound  clear Audi or sound mode/surround/sound restoration/voice zoom/night/wirelessly subwoofer/advance settings

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
jimred1
Explorer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Its not in Action Menu.

• Press [Home] on the remote control
  • Scroll down to Settings
  • Scroll across to Sound

You should find it in their.