Join now - be part of our community!

Picture but no sound via HDMI on KD 49X8005C

Calistinson
Explorer

Picture but no sound via HDMI on KD 49X8005C

Can anyone help, I've just recently bought a Sony KD49X8005C & tried to connect a laptop & DVD player via HDMI. 

I only get a picture but no sound from either source. 

I've also connected a Virgin Media Tivo box to the tv via HDMI & that seems to work perfectly fine, picture & sound working with no problems. 

Have tried reseting the tv to factory default, dowloading & installing all the latest udates, switching HDMI ports, switching HDMI cables, switching HDMI cables into different ports.

Tried to select the Sony tv as the default sound device on the laptop sound preferences. 

Nothing seems to work, the Virgin Media plays fine but all other HDMI inputs only give picture but no sound. 

Have called the sony customer support, but they seem to have no clue whatsoever & keep asking for more information to 'escalate the inquiry'.

This has never happened on my old Toshiba Regza HD TV, simply plug in via HDMI & away we go.

Any & all help would be much appreciated.

If no solution should be forthcoming, then I'll have to return the TV to the store. 

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

So it works ok with the TIVO - so that means the tv and hdmi cable are fine.  Leaving the laptop out of the equation at this stage, what brand and model DVD player do you have?

Some DVD players may default the output of audio via another means instead of HDMI, can you check the DVD players audio settings?

Cheers

Calistinson
Explorer

Dear Quinnicus,

The make of the DVD Player is Toshiba. Its a DVD Recorder. 

Have tried to change the audio out settings, but no joy. I'm thinking that it will require either a seperate audio or scart cable as well as the HDMI cable. 

As for the laptop, windows has since released a free Windows 10 OS upgrade which seems to have sorted the sound issues on that front. 

Thanks for your help on this matter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you please reply back with the model, as im sure theres a setting on it that may help, but i cant find it without the manual, hence need model number of dvd player.

Cheers

Calistinson
Explorer

DSC_0014.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

This is the setting I was meaning: HDMI Audio - ensure that it is ON.

_20160427_165636.JPG

I also found this, whether its relevent to how you use it though?

_20160427_165913.JPG

Calistinson
Explorer

Tried these already, tried again just in case, but still no joy.