Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A1 OLED Firmware for DolbyVision

SOLVED
profile.country.QA.title
tahashi
Explorer

Sony A1 OLED Firmware for DolbyVision

Dear Sony,

When are you releasing the new DolbyVision Firmware for the A1 OLED TVs??? As I see, it is already released in the USA, so when on Earth are you going to release it for EUROPE and the rest of the world??? We are almost Mid March 2018 now and no word from you!!! Even the 30th of January 2018 announcement has not been updated with a date or time of when this is going to be release. If it is released in the USA, then why is it being delayed for the rest of the world?? What I feel now is that I'm begining to regret this expensive purchase and I wish that I had made the right descision and went with the LG OLED units which already have DolbyVision built in from day one. Come on....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
pmrozek
Explorer

Sony Europe update - > https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00015010

Firmware update to v6.2858

Applicable Models

This information is for the following models:

• KD-77A1
  • KD-65A1
  • KD-55A1
  • KD-75XE9405
  • KD-65XE9305
  • KD-55XE9305
  • KD-75XE9005
  • KD-65XE9005
  • KD-55XE9005
  • KD-49XE9005
  • KD-75XE8596
  • KD-65XE8599
  • KD-65XE8596
  • KD-65XE8588
  • KD-65XE8577
  • KD-65XE8505
  • KD-55XE8599
  • KD-55XE8596
  • KD-55XE8588
  • KD-55XE8577
  • KD-55XE8505
  • KD-55XE8396
  • KD-55XE8096
  • KD-49XE8396
  • KD-49XE8099
  • KD-49XE8096
  • KD-49XE8088
  • KD-49XE8077
  • KD-49XE8005
  • KD-49XE8004
  • KD-43XE8396
  • KD-43XE8099
  • KD-43XE8096
  • KD-43XE8077
  • KD-43XE8005
  • KD-43XE8004
  • KD-100ZD9
  • KD-75ZD9
  • KD-65ZD9
  • KD-49XD8305
  • KD-43XD8305
  • KD-55XD8005
  • KD-49XD8005
  • KD-43XD8005
  • KD-49XD8077
  • KD-43XD8077
  • KD-49XD8088
  • KD-43XD8088
  • KD-49XD8099
  • KD-43XD8099
  • KD-65XD7504
  • KD-65XD7505
  • KD-55XD7004
  • KD-49XD7004
  • KD-55XD7005
  • KD-49XD7005
  • KD-50SD8005
About this download
Benefits and improvements from the latest update
  • Dolby Vision content is supported for video streaming apps/services installed on the TV such as Amazon Prime Video and Netflix. (ZD9, XE94, XE93 and A1 only)*
  • Voice search UI has changed
    You can search content while viewing the screen. Press the [↑] button on the remote control to show all of the search results. Then scroll through the categories using the directional buttons.
    • Before updating
    • After updating
  • Introduces support for BBC iPlayer HLG HDR format (UK only)
  • Resolves an issue where the following message appears: "Samba Services Manager has stopped"
  • Resolves an issue where audio on TV speaker echoes when connected to Bluetooth headphones
  • Resolves Amazon Prime Video playback issue where the video freezes and lip sync error occurs
  • Resolves an issue where home audio amplifier does not switch input automatically to TV input when using "BRAVIA Sync Control" function
  • Resolves an issue where the TV input selector does not switch to HDMI connected player automatically when using the "One-Touch Play" feature
  • Resolves an issue where videos from NPO’s HbbTV app cannot be played (The Netherlands only)
  • Resolves an issue where sound continues to be heard from the Sound Bar after turning off the TV via the remote control

* Selected Sony TVs (ZD9, XE94, XE93 and A1 Series) will support Dolby Vision with the software update to be rolled out in Europe within April, 2018. To enjoy Dolby Vision content, the video streaming app/service must support Dolby Vision. For more information, please contact the app/service provider. In addition, after the Sony TV receives the software update, devices with Dolby Vision playback (such streaming media players and UHD Blu-ray players) that are connected to the Sony TV by HDMI will also require a software update to support Dolby Vision playback through the device. For more information on the timing of an update to a particular player, please contact the player’s manufacturer.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi tahashi,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I'd recommend getting in touch Support here who will be able to advise you on this. 

Cheers,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
Chargeor
Explorer

We want more info . 

Otherwise we ll start returning.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi :slight_smile:

Have you contacted Support as advised above?

In case you weren't aware, Sony don't respond on this forum.

profile.country.QA.title
tahashi
Explorer

I have contacted Sony UK and sent them the same message I posted on the forum.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

arrrrrrgggghhh

Why does nobody use a telephone any more? j/k :grin:

Keep us posted  :slight_smile:

profile.country.QA.title
tahashi
Explorer

Here is the reply from Sony and after that my reply back to them:

"Thank you for contacting Sony support regarding your Sony KD-65A1.

With reference to the firmware that has been released in the US, kindly note that the availability of applying the firmware also depends on the country/region, and the same firmware cannot be applied in the UK. We apologise for the inconvenience that might have been caused to yourself by all this.

In regards to the announcement, kindly note that the article has been updated, with the promise that Sony will share the final release date of the firmware in question.

We recommend yourself to visit the following link for more details:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00190772

We repeat the apologies for the delay, and we seek your understanding and cooperation regarding the matter as we hate to learn that you are regretting making your Sony purchase. You can rely on the fact that Sony is giving the release of the firmware our highest priority and our engineers are not sparing an effort to have the firmware released as soon as possible.

Furthermore, kindly reply with the 7 digit serial number of your device for registration purposes.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email."

Here is my reply back to them:

"Thank you for your reply. I understand that the US firmware cannot apply to the European units, I already know that and that’s why I sent the complain. However Sony has no justification of not releasing this firmware to Europe and the rest of the world as long as they had already released it months ago to the US!!! Also not stating the estimated date of the release since January until now is totally un-professional and also shows how Sony does not really care for markets other than the Japanese and the US markets.

A lot of your customers have invested in your products because they are really good, however the support is very slow and this issue of this OLED TV had really embarrassed Sony as everyone who bought these units have been waiting endlessly for the firmware that adds support for Dolby Vision while a company like LG has it built-in in their OLED units which costs even less than the A1!!!

Please don’t give me justification, give us a date and be more transparent with your customers..."

So, here you have it. If they reply back, I will also keep you posted.
profile.country.GB.title
pmrozek
Explorer

Please give us firmware release date.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Thanks for keeping us updated @tahashi :champagne_glass:

profile.country.GB.title
pmrozek
Explorer

There is a new firmware for Sony A1 OLED!

This software update (version PKG6.2858.00082NAA) provides the following benefits:

• Improves general performance of the TV
  • Improves performance when starting content from the PS4™ Pro gaming console
  • Improves performance for Amazon Prime® video playback
  • Corrects a condition where a short beeping sound is heard when changing channels

The section below provides a list of benefits provided by previous updates and included in the latest System Software Update.

• Adds support for Dolby Vision™ content DolbyVision
    (XBR-55A1E, XBR-65A1E, XBR-77A1E, XBR-55X930E, XBR-65X930E, and XBR-75X940E only)
    Note: Some connected devices may also need an update to support Dolby Vision. (More Information)
  • Adds support for the Amazon® Alexa™ app that runs on Amazon Echo™ devices
  • Resolves an issue where optical digital sound sometimes stops
  • Resolves an issue where the TV speakers and the sound from the PS4 controller are out of sync
  • Resolves an issue where frame drops occur and the AV is out of sync when playing 4K HDR 60fps content
  • Adds support for the A2DP Bluetooth® profile
  • Adds support for PIP (Picture-in-Picture) while using an app (watch TV in a small window while using an Android TV™ app)
  • Adds support for Hybrid Log-Gamma HDR content via HDMI® and USB/Home network
  • Improves the Settings screen to support changing settings while viewing TV (some exceptions may apply)
  • Adds support for task-switching (switch between previously used apps and the current app by holding down the HOME button on your remote until the task-switching menu appears)
Date:3/20/2018
Version:PKG6.2858.00082NAA
Size:1.57 GB

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=XBR65A1E&upd_id=11448&os_group_id=18