Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD-55AF8 - Changes colours when streaming Dolby Vision

profile.country.GB.title
andhas
Explorer

Sony KD-55AF8 - Changes colours when streaming Dolby Vision

Hi

I have a KD-55AF8 and when I stream Netflix/Disney+ shows that is in Dolby Vision the colours change.

I have tried to turn off all different settings that "enhances" the picture but it did not help.

If I stream a show from Netflix that is a 4k stream the picture is perfect.

It is similar or the same as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo9EKvmrceI

I have rebooted the TV and I think it was OK for a little while but then it came back.

Do you have any suggestions on what I can do?

There are constant color shifts in Netflix dolby vision material. This example clip is from movie "L'incredibile storia dell'Isola delle Rose", in the very beginning of the movie at 1:55 min mark. Rebooting the TV fixed the problem.
25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.GB.title
mapupil37
Explorer

It's probably a hardware bug, they are not going to admit that because it
would involve a huge refund/recall.
profile.country.GB.title
IanTomBower
Explorer

Even with a hardware bug, I think it could be cured with a software update. Clearing the cache (for example with Netflix) cures the problem for a while. I suggest that code could run to clear the cache whenever the TV is put on standby.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hey all,

Did you try to contact Sony about this? They could have an update about this.

profile.country.GB.title
IanTomBower
Explorer

I haven't but I shall.

profile.country.GB.title
IanTomBower
Explorer

Right, I've sent this to Sony and hope that it has some effect. If lots of us did the same they might take notice.
My message to Sony -
'This is not a query but a suggestion.
Pretty-much all Sony TVs that have Dolby Vision capability have a glaring fault (even the absolute top of the range Sony TVs) in that after some hours of watching in Dolby Vision, the colours start to go wrong. The only ways to stop this is to clear the app's cache or reboot the TV. The problem is stopped for a while but returns.
This is my suggestion. If, when the TV is put into stanby, a small code ran that cleared the cache of any Dolby Vision apps it would solve the problem.
A software update that included this would put an end to this glaring fault of Sony TVs.'

profile.country.GB.title
IanTomBower
Explorer

Had this back from Sony.

Dear Mr. Bower,
Thank you for contacting Sony support.

With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony KD-75XF9005, We are glad to learn about your valuable feedback.
Please note that your feedback has been taken into consideration, and we wish you continue using our Sony devices with pleasure.

Thank you for your feedback.
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.
Thank you for your enquiry.
Yours sincerely,
SaifEldin

SONY SUPPORT TEAM
SUPPORT: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en